Distributed Computing, what do you want me to do !

Soldato
Riteo,

Where are OCUK's resources primarily being directed at the moment...

I currently have

Running Windows XP
AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.7 ghz, 2 gig G-Skill Ram, Nforce 4 (my PC)
AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.2 ghz, 1 gig Twinmoss, Nforce 2 (dads PC)
[email protected] ghz, 768mb samsung, KT333 (brothers PC
XP2200@Stock, 512mb unbranded, nforce2 (file server)

Running Smoothwall
AMD 1.4 tbird @ stock, 768mb pqi, KT133a

all sat, on 24/7, doing nothing... nearly 10 ghz worth of processing power ! and over 5 gigs worth of memory !

I used to do seti, but that stopped a while back iirc? what do you guys want me to sign up for and start doing? ideally something that is automated drops and pickups for units, so I can install it on all the pc's and leave it :)

does anyone know if the client you ask me to do will run on smoothwall at all? seems a shame to leave that tbird doing nothing ;)

willing to set it all up today and get crunching ! :D

Soldato
OP
I went for BOINC in the end.

Restarting on the seti project, wish me luck ! :D

should also point out, im still part of the OCUK team so watch out ! ;)

My details are : -

232) kore 21,414.54 0.00 United Kingdom

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
babyface uk said:
With those pc's you should be able to give out some major stompage,

keep em cruching,

Babyface UK

hehe :)

has anyone managed to get boincto work on smoothwall? id be interested in giving that a go ;) :D

Soldato
OP
KE1HA said:
I haven't used or researched this but, Smoothwall looks to be nothing more than a Linux port for VPN's or Routers, etc. The Boinc application for Linux is already in a binary state so no compilation is necessary. I don't see why the Binary wouldn't run on it, just follow the Linux installation instructions and see how it goes.
ok will give it a go... there is no GUI though, just a command line.. still think it will work? :p

Soldato
OP
well, dare I risk saying it, why dont we all agree on doing 1 project and really owning it up :D

if you take a look at my progress, starting to do quite nicely :)

Soldato
OP
Trick said:
Agreed with Mattus, Folding definately has a certain 'feeling' to it and the sense of comaradarie amongst Team10 is nice to be a part of. Most importantly for me though is the work which all our Folding Woos go towards, particularly cancer research.

folding @ home is cancer research? ill be changing all the machines to that from boinc s@h tonight.

Soldato
OP
MikeSW17 said:
Good Choice.

But don't worry about the others, when the BOINC Folding@Home comes out of beta, they'll all be able to join the best ;)

I tried to do F&H but the boinc interface was far easier to use. When F&H can be done on boinc, ill start doing it :)

Back
Top Bottom