DIY-Kitchens Planner - can you stack units?

Soldato
I've almost finalised my kitchen plan and I want to stack a mid height unit on top of a drawer unit to create a pantry cupboard with pull out shelf for toaster/kettle.
The measurements work, when stacked upon each other the height would equal a tall unit but I can't seem to do it on the planner.

Has anybody tried this? I've unticked the options but it still moves the unit away to the first available space.
Cheers

Soldato
I think you could technically do it, but you'd have to find some way to join the units (chipboard end to chipboard end) and be left with a gap half way up where the base unit has a step for the plinth.

To do it properly I think you'd be best off taking the units apart and re engineering them with new side panels. They definitely sell end panels intended to have the same finish as the door faces. Perhaps you could use those as side panels, or see if they'll sell just the pantry cupboard carcass side panels.

Soldato
Surely they do a full size unit? In fact I think my oven unit has deep drawers at the bottom. Have you called them? They're super helpful.

Soldato
OP
We're planning on stacking units because we need an 800mm unit. The larder unit with drawers would be suitable but it comes in 600mm to 1000mm both which wouldn't work for what we need.
DIY Kitchens have an article for something similar.

Soldato
We're planning on stacking units because we need an 800mm unit. The larder unit with drawers would be suitable but it comes in 600mm to 1000mm both which wouldn't work for what we need.
DIY Kitchens have an article for something similar.

It is well doable, but the planner is seeing a space already occupied and cannot add the extra unit.
Finish the plan and speak to the kitchen bods via email or phone with this additions before clicking finish.

Soldato
OP
It is well doable, but the planner is seeing a space already occupied and cannot add the extra unit.
Finish the plan and speak to the kitchen bods via email or phone with this additions before clicking finish.
Annoyingly I thought that was going to be the issue
Cheers though, will have to finalise it all and make sure all is OK before emailing them

Last edited:
Soldato
Like I said they're pretty good at receiving and questioning designs (in a helpful way). They'll tell you if you've made any mistakes

Soldato
OP
Like I said they're pretty good at receiving and questioning designs (in a helpful way). They'll tell you if you've made any mistakes
That's good, it'll be my first time using them.
I got a quote from Howdens but it was £16k just for units (8k for worktops and appliances) where as the whole thing (inc. worktops and appliances) is £20k

Soldato
That's good, it'll be my first time using them.
I got a quote from Howdens but it was £16k just for units (8k for worktops and appliances) where as the whole thing (inc. worktops and appliances) is £20k
Yeah Howdens price it at $lol so tradies can buy them and make a bunch of margin whilst still appearing cheaper than going direct.

Soldato
Howdens are annoying for that, go back to them and tell them you want their best price - bare in mind the warrenty is held with the account holder so use a friend or create youre own if you want to buy it.

It’s better buying it from there to be honest it just easier for stock and getting replacements if something is wrong. It happens all the time! I can’t be bothered with the hassle if there is a slim line door delivered instead of a wider door. The cabinets are all built but youre built in appliances will be seperate doors as they get attached to the appliance themselves. The amount of times they ship the wrong one is insane (thats right across the board) or a 400mm carcus rather than a 500mm etc another plus point is the gab at the back is bigger!

but I wouldn’t buy my appliances or worktop from there.

Hunt around for your appliances and get your worktop from Express worktops i’d wait until everything is fitted and confirmed and make sure you have your sink on site. The lads will come and measure the entire kitchen with 3-D lasers and they get it bang on and create it the factory so it’s perfect.

Back
Top Bottom