DIY Smoke Test

Associate
I had my chimney swept and inspected last September with the view of installing a wood burner but now I've decided to have an open fire instead. The chimney sweep didn't check my loft space when he did his smoke test because he thought i'd line the chimney anyway so no I'm wondering if I need to get him back again. I'm a bit reluctant to spend £50+(I'm guessing) on him doing a 5 minute job lighting one of those smoke pellets and climbing my loft ladder when I could do it myself.
What do you guys think? Is it something that needs to be done to check a box and get a certificate to suit insurers?

Soldato
Ugh, I can't ever imagine going back to an open fire.

We went from open fire to wood burner and it's just night and day in terms of mess and performance.

With an open fire, you're talking up to 90% of the heat going up the chimney. On cold nights it wouldn't actually heat the room on its own - now we have to have the door open if the stove has been on for a couple of hours even in winter.

Regardless, it's just occurred to me that I've never been asked about having a log burner on the insurance. It's never even occurred to me. I should probably check!

Soldato
Install the open fire and you'll soon know if the chimney leaks the flue can then be lined after wards we did exactly this as while our chimney passed the smoke test it leaked during actual use not very much but when it had been on for several hours it was a problem upstairs. Probably leaking between the flues and coming back down the bedroom fireplace. We had it lined and since then no issues.

The open V's burner debate is always interesting and I guess depends on why you've got the fire, we only use ours occasionally during the winter more for ambience and the pleasure of it rather than actual heat and while a stove will always be warmer and more efficient it will never be a replacement for some logs and coal actually crackling away in an open fireplace.

Associate
OP
We've decided on a Victorian cast iron fireplace. I really like the style and cant wait to burn my first set of logs.

Soldato
I'm a bit reluctant to spend £50+(I'm guessing) on him doing a 5 minute job lighting one of those smoke pellets and climbing my loft ladder when I could do it myself.
Get a vaper friend with a SubOhm to huff a few lungfuls up the chimney - You'll see if there are any problems and your home will smell of strawberry cheesecake or something, instead of smoke and burning.

For the record, we have an open fire and I doubt the chimney is lined. Insurance don't seem to give a toss, long as we say we have it swept out....

Soldato
Don't forget to get a toasting fork - most important tool with an open fire - Saying that I would never go back to a open fire. -- Money up the chimney.

Soldato
Don't forget to get a toasting fork - most important tool with an open fire - Saying that I would never go back to a open fire. -- Money up the chimney.

It's only money up the chimney if you pay for what you burn most of the stuff we burn comes out of skips or neighbours/friends trimming trees etc we don't use the fire often so I probably go through about 2 bags of coal a year!

Back
Top Bottom