django users

Associate
I have just got in to django... I purchased the one month python and django course. Where he guides you through building a Yelp like app for local coffee shops. He is teaching how to build the app rather then what each bit of code does.
So there is a bit of stuff that works but I don't know why I have found that there's something called coding for coding for entrepreneurs that explains things better.
I may have got my thinking wrong here. So normally when I do a website I go to Vidahost by domain name and hosting stick the html / wordpress/ php what ever up there and away we go.

However they are saying use heroku for the application and files and then use amazon s3(?) for hosting the images ???

I have pushed my first tutorial project to heroku. Done heroku open and up pops the website - with a long url.

Is there a better way of getting the projects live? and if not can I buy a domain name (myapp.co.uk) and then get heroku to use that?

Cheers

Associate
You can set up heroku to use a custom domain: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/custom-domains

Hosts such as vidahost will have a bunch of servers set up with apache/mysql/php as standard, with some variation and other languages supported here and there. You put your html/php files in the relevant directory, set up your domain and their apache server directs queries at your files.

Django/rails/etc are different in that they utilise their own server separate to apache/nginx, and many hosts don't offer support for that. That's where heroku comes in, though there are probably others that offer python and ruby support.

Back
Top Bottom