DJI Osmo Action

Soldato
There's an announcement from DJI on 15 May, and this is rumoured to be an action camera to take on GoPro's near monopoly. However, as with all these things, it looks like details have leaked:

https://www.diyphotography.net/photos-and-specs-of-the-new-dji-osmo-action-camera-have-been-leaked/

No details of image stabilisation which is a bit worrying. The GoPro 7 does this really well, on the latest firmware version. And the form factor, like the GoPro, is just not helpful to those who want to mount on to motorbikes and helmets etc.

Soldato
OP
I've ordered one today to see how it compares to the GoPro 7. As usual with DJI there's a near complete deficit of accessories at launch (spare batteries, attachments etc) but I think I can maybe make some use of existing GoPro mounts.

I've looked but haven't seen any details on bluetooth connections, to open the possibility of attaching a bluetooth microphone. Although seemingly better than GoPro's sound, the Action won't be able to defy the laws of physics and give great sound at 70 mph, and I'm sure a wired mic will compromise the waterproofing as ever.

Soldato
OP
Arrived yesterday and I picked up from work today. Had to update the firmware to get it working - Rock Steady wasn't on there - it was called EIS but still seemed to work ok. The DJI Mimo app seems to control it fairly simply - easy to change settings and transfer footage to the mobile.

otcwRtI.jpg

I don't think I've got any mountings to fit it to my bike helmet, so I had a quick wander around the garden - 2.7k 30fps with Rock Steady on. At the end I was waving it (smoothly) up and down, and it seems to cope better than the GoPro 7 Black. The sound is also pretty decent, but that'll change with a smidgen of wind. As with the big GoPro, I just wish these cameras had a different profile - it really isn't good for mounting on the side of a helmet so it'll inevitably end up on the top / chin which I don't particularly like.

Anyway, it seems a step up from the GoPro, so that's going on eBay over the weekend :)

Soldato
OP
I don't, at least not for my motorbike helmet as there I use either a Session 5 or a Ghost Drift X. I need a 'Lego' session - sit down with all the different GoPro attachments and joints and try and work out a new mounting position that doesn't interrupt my vision or airflow.

Soldato
OP
Poor is very kind. It is a bloody outrage and simple gouging. So frustrating when businesses do so many things right and really innovate and offer choice, and then just screw it up so badly on things like this. It would be marginally, just marginally, more forgivable if they had any in stock. But they don't.

Soldato
OP
Finally got a chance to use mine in a first test today. I just spliced a few clips together so nothing fancy - I was mainly interested in seeing how the stabilisation worked when motorcycling and how the camera coped with the harsh contrast of shadows on a sunny day.

No problem with the former - the stabilisation generally worked very well. I'm less sure on the actual camera image quality itself, although this is raw and ungraded. The GoPro 7 feels like better quality straight out of the camera but I've yet to have a play around with proper editing.

Oh, and if not already obvious, it desperately needs that microphone adaptor. Largely useless for most things I want to do without it.

Soldato
OP
I wish these mic adapters were right angled so it was more difficult to break. I understand most people will have a housing of some type, but sticking straight out is asking for trouble.

Exactly. And in my case, that side is flush to a motorcycle helmet, so now I'll have to mount it upside down and look like I'm riding with some kind of antenna attached!

Despite this, the quality of the camera is great, and the stabilisation crushes GoPro's in the real world. Picked up another one, and good to see that batteries are now shipping too.

tdBLt2R.jpg

Soldato
OP
One of the best things that I've found about the Action is the mobile app. It just works so reliably, whereas GoPro always used to be a bit of a chore and hit and miss for me.

I wish they'd ditch the on-camera screens and just bring out a more aerodynamic form factor.

Back
Top Bottom