• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

Soldato
Having only got an Ampere card very recently, I’ve only just got around to trying out a few games with DLSS 2.0. To say I’m impressed is an understatement.

I was very sceptical when I first heard about DLSS as I simply thought that any sort of upscaling would never, ever, be as good as running native resolution. Well butter my arse, I was wrong. On quality setting it looks just as good from my own pixel peeping tests as native resolution, and from various videos around on the tubes it can even enhance some games compared to native res.

The obvious ‘free’ performance uptick you get from running it is brilliant. Why aren’t more people raving about DLSS 2.0 in here? Are there downsides I don’t know about yet?

Soldato
OP
DLSS 2.0 is already fantastic, but I believe they are enhancing it further, and it might even be possible to implement it at the control panel level so it could work with ANY game (no confirmed source for that but was on a recent YouTube vid somewhere from a guy who’s normally got good info).

Thing is I did wonder if Nvidia could be shooting themselves in the foot here. If DLSS keeps getting better and can be used in more (and possibly all!) games, there will be less need to buy any higher end more expensive GPUs ever again. no?

Soldato
OP
DLSS is not the only quality up scaling option. Running 1440p on my 4k LG 48CX tv/monitor is pretty much the same as using DLSS at 4k for more fps. Honestly you can't tell the difference.

I can guarantee it's not as good as DLSS 2.0. LG oled upscaling is good, but not that good. I have an Nvidia Shield TV tube attached to mine, and that does "AI" upscaling from 720p, 1080p and 1440p to 4k, and it is better when compared to just letting the TV do it.

Soldato
OP
The only people I have seen diss DLSS are people who don't have an Nvidia card. DLSS 2.0 is revolutionary, it literally DOUBLES FRAMERATES with very little noticeable visual impact... if that isn't a big thing, especially for eople with lower-end cards wanting to get more performance for their money, then I don't know what is.

Soon, a lot more people will be talking about it as it gets rolled out into more games. AMD need to get their version out to market asap.

Yep.
what’s your thoughts on whether Nvidia are shooting themselves in the foot almost with DLSS?
I.e. If the technology, already very good, keeps improving, and more games start using it - there will be no need to buy the top tier cards anymore?

Soldato
OP
Interesting debate. Obviously you want a high end GPU And an OLED! As someone who has both (3090), if I had to choose an either or, it would be a tough decision for me for various reasons.

Also, need to make an obvious point that to run an oled tv, which are all 4K, you need a ‘high end’ GPU anyway so you can always maintain 60fps to match 60hz minimum. This was often not achievable on my previous card, a 1080ti (faster than a 3060 by the way!) unless the game had a render resolution slider and I had to knock it down to 70ish. Unless you’ve got a more recent model oled with gsync of course, my oled is an older c8.

Soldato
OP
If you have the correct settings for the TV and your nvidia control panel in terms of letting the TV do the scaling, you should be able to happily play at 1440p and not notice much if any drop in res., obviously it depends largely on the game and your viewing distance though.

Aye I used to run a few games at 2560x1440 on the oled for those games that didn't have a render slider. I sit about 9 feet away (lounge TV, PC upstairs, 30m fibre optic hdmi cable going out of house and back in again shenanigans) from the screen so 1440p really is ok at that distance. You get much better visual quality though by setting the game at 4k and letting it render up from say 70%, especially if the game has TAA as it does some kind of reconstruction I believe.

Back
Top Bottom