Do all Satellite dishes have to look the same way?

Associate
Posted this question in a Satellite forum and after an hour all people are doing is just staring at it. It seems like a pretty easy question to answer to me so either I'm asking a ridiculously stupid question or their all pig ignorant, so Ill ask the OC crew instead -one of you are bound to know the answer :D

Sky installed a dish in early spring but when the trees behind my house started to fill up with leaves the satellite signal got blocked -Sky came and re-sighted the dish but have told me It's only temporary and that I should never have been offered Sky in the first place because of the trees.

The council won't trim the trees and I'm not allowed to as the Council own them, the signal is already starting to weaken so this pretty much means Ill lose my Sky reception completely soon.

I only have trees to the rear of my house (the direction the Sky dish needs to look) do the other satellite services all have their satellites in the same place or are they all in different quadrants of the sky? -I'm thinking that maybe Freeview or someone might have a satellite that requires a dish to look at it from the opposite direction aka the front of my house -Is this likely or just wishful thinking on my part?

Associate
OP
Where is the dish on your house at the moment? Neighbour of mine has theirs on the side of the chimney which might be an option for you?

Unfortunately because of the way my house slopes the higher up the side of the house you move the satellite the steeper the angle it has to be to avoid the trees which beyond a certain point it's not possible to get -It's hard to explain without a picture of the house but basically Sky have said the sat would need to be on such a high pole to avoid the trees it would be unfeasible to do.

Associate
OP
Edit.

Ahh I see..

I was thinkin about this a few weeks ago, its surprising how low to the horizon the Sky's satellite is positioned in the UK. There must be quite a few people with the same problem as you.

Have seen dishes on those poles

I would burn/chop the trees if all else fails.

My house is quite close to them and they must be a good 40-50ft tall, they are all very mature huge trees, a wood was pretty much felled to make room for my housing estate and I just happen to live right on the edge where the last of the treeline was left behind. If I was to set them on fire and one fell over it could do some serious damage to blocks of flats nearby so that's out of the equation -plus as I have complained in writing to the council about them they would be knocking on my door the next day :D

Associate
OP
Damn.. well if its any consultation it sounds like you live in quite a nice place with a nice view! :D

Are their any neighbours that could join in efforts with you to moan at the council?.. they might take more notice if a bunch of you start moaning about not being able to get sky.

As a group of about 8 houses we have been complaining for over 5 years as they also block sunlight from coming into our gardens but the council are not sympathetic to our cause -It will cost them lots of money if they agree to do it plus I suppose it will leave them open to requests from people all over Northampton.

I guess cable is the way to go which is a shame as I fell out with them earlier this year and moved to Sky heh.

Back
Top Bottom