1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Cautions stay on record for life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StonedPenguin, Aug 17, 2011.

1. StonedPenguin

Mobster

Hi there,

Just a quickie if anyone knows, Does a caution stay on your record for life? I've been told its 5 yrs by 1 copper, then its life by another copper so.. :confused:

The caution was recieved aged 22 (3 years ago), I have recently been offered employment working at an Airport, Security screening Cargo. I am fairly confident I will pass the CRB check because I've been told cautions only show up on Enhanced CRB checks, But not sure if this is 100%

If anyone can clear this up for me i'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks

2. Shikkaka

Wise Guy

I hope it's not life haha. I got a caution for chopping some trees down when I was 15....

Also interested to know.

3. StonedPenguin

Mobster

I'm confident they're all wiped when you turn 18, I had 2 cautions at ~18 and they were gone when I had a CRB at 19 to work in a similer position I've been offered now at the Airport.

4. GingerNinja1989

Wise Guy

If its working in security, it may well be an enhanced check.

5. Cosimo

Man of Honour

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q562.htm

More from Directgov:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Beingstoppedorarrestedbythepolice/DG_196450

6. Moses

Capodecina

I got ~done~ for possession of weed when I was fifteen, iirc. Tbh, I don't really remember it properly, but I seem to recall being told that the warning, or whatever it was, I received would be on my record until I was eighteen, or for five years, whichever was longest.

I've never really looked into it, as I've never applied for anything requiring CRB checking, or similar... but, I dare say I'll ask the police, at some point.

7. shoes

Mobster

I have been caught with pot twice, once pre-18 and once when I was 22. I was cautioned both times. I worked at a local college which required an enhanced disclosure when I was 19 which didn't show up the first (when I was under 18). My job after that required a normal disclosure and the one I got at 22 also didn't show.

8. Linkex

Wise Guy

Hang on, a police caution is not part of the justice system is it? Aren't they down to the police force to issue them, to be used against you in court if you do the same thing again and it is prosecuted? - how can it be right that they are returned on checks?

9. shoes

Mobster

That would explain why it's never screwed me over then :D

10. Morgoth

Soldato

Good stuff was it?

11. steve-h

Mobster

scum

12. StonedPenguin

Mobster

Thanks for the info. :)

13. fini

Sgarrista

Lol, no. A caution is you formally admitting to the offence in return for the police (well CPS) agreeing not to prosecute. Whilst 'spent' immediately you technically have a criminal record if you accept a caution.

14. Castiel

Capo Crimine

They are on your criminal record permanently. They will show on an enhanced CRB if that is what you are concerned about, however a Caution is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offender Act the moment it is given so you have a modicum of protection regarding employment.

15. MrMoonX

PermaBanned

airport security will definitely be an enhanced CRB and National Security Check (the big orange form)

16. StonedPenguin

Mobster

Thanks, Would a caution prevent me from getting the job do you think? Caution was for possesion of canna.

cheers

17. Moses

Capodecina

I noticed that, as I typed it, lulz. I didn't actually try weed until I was ~20, lulz.

18. Macky

Soldato

Probably not going to stop you as it's minor. All you can do is try.

19. zobby

Gangster

I got a caution at 14 (27 years ago!) Got my firearms licence a couple of years ago and the firearms officer told me there was no record of the caution on my file at all. Im guessing the longer it happened the more chance of it disappearing.

20. dpbadger

Wise Guy

If you have a caution always disclose it on security checks as they show up on certain levels of check. It is always better to disclose it, than not tell them and it shows up on a check then an employer might think you are trying to hide something.