Do extra terrestrials exist? If so...

Man of Honour
Lol comic is stupid. Shows the opposite of what the creator meant. Perfect example of human self importance. Making out that some how we are unique and special. If evolution theory is correct and other advance life exists. Then it's almost certain they are no different to us.

Permabanned
Then I apologise for making that assumption.

You are absolutely right in saying that there is no firm evidence, but the indications and current evidence based on planets in our own solar system suggest that the planets are capable of supporting life. But this does, indeed, not mean that there definitely is life there.

The point you made about the infinite universe does not guarantee the existence of life, but makes it statistically, virtually impossible, for there not to be life. If we assume, though, that the universe is infinitely large and that there are therefore infinite possibilities of anything happening, life then MUST exist, and possibly, by the same theory, something equivalent to God probably exists, but not in the way that it is acknowledged by humans.

I think, really, we both agree.You're just picking me up on the evidence point, which is fair enough.

This was the point I was making, and the reason why I am agnostic about both positions.....as someone I respect very much once said:

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

And another, which illustrates why we should always be sceptical in our position, rather than making definitive statements that limit our options when evidence presents itself:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Soldato
Lol comic is stupid. Shows the opposite of what the creator meant. Perfect example of human self importance. Making out that some how we are unique and special. If evolution theory is correct and other advance life exists. Then it's almost certain they are no different to us.

I think the cartoon is trying to say, why the hell would you want to come here? Chances are that some redneck would shoot the aliens on sight...

Soldato
@Castiel, I would argue that anything that is indistinguishable from magic, I would assume to be advanced technology as, and I think it's unnecessary to disagree for the sake of being agnostic about it, that magic doesn't exist.

I like the first quote you've put there a lot; we are never going to reach the edge of the universe, and we are never going to know or see anything, but at least we can try!

Man of Honour
I think the cartoon is trying to say, why the hell would you want to come here? Chances are that some redneck would shoot the aliens on sight...

And what it actually says is we are so stupid we are unique and other species wouldn't be territorial which is obviously BS almost all species are territorial.

Do advance species like humans not explore as we might die? Get eaten or poisoned in a forest for example. It is just a **** comic strip on every level.
Made by some hollier than though idiot, whos managed to display the human traits they obviously hate.

Last edited:
Associate
Another intelligent life form most likely does exist, with space being infinite.
but the chances of them visiting us are as slim as them knowing were here.
We are proof that something like us exists somewhere else, but there is no proof, or even suggestions that God exists ;)

Permabanned
@Castiel, I would argue that anything that is indistinguishable from magic, I would assume to be advanced technology as, and I think it's unnecessary to disagree for the sake of being agnostic about it, that magic doesn't exist.

you are missing the point of the quote, it is not about saying magic exists, only that without understanding, things are not always as they first appear.

I like the first quote you've put there a lot; we are never going to reach the edge of the universe, and we are never going to know or see anything, but at least we can try!

Quite, and that applies to not only science, but philosophy and belief also.....without striving to understand, we will never understand and it is not the destination that is ultimately important, but the journey itself and we should never limit ourselves by assumption and/or dismissal of all possibilities, no matter how improbably they might first appear. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
you are missing the point of the quote, it is not about saying magic exists, only that without understanding, things are not always as they first appear.

Oh no, I understood that. I was just expressing what I thought about things deemed to be magical.

Quite, and that applies to not only science, but philosophy and belief also.....without striving to understand, we will never understand and it is not the destination that is ultimately important, but the journey itself and we should never limit ourselves by assumption and/or dismissal of all possibilities, no matter how improbably they might first appear. :)

Hmm well I would also factor logic in that, and whether some things are more of a waste of time than others :p

Permabanned
Why would they be christian aliens?

Indeed, there has to be some consideration that God and Religion are separate insofar that religion is a human construct that strives to understand God rather than it being a construct given to humanity by God.......

That is if we make the assumption that God exists for the purpose of the question....of course.

Permabanned
The evidence for it is very compelling wouldn't you say.

belgium1990.jpg

No-one can dispute this image isn't real, all analysis says it is. It also fits descriptions from hundreds of people/police/military e.t.c.

Man of Honour
Of course it can be disputed even if your claims the picture is real, doesn't mean that the subject wasn't faked then a real picture taken. There's also plenty of delta wing aircraft and even more top secret aircraft. Just have to look at things like the stealth bomber which was the cause of hundreds of UFO sightings as it was designed and built years before public unveiling.

But I know let's instantly jump to the least likely assumption.

Permabanned
Oh no, I understood that. I was just expressing what I thought about things deemed to be magical.

that would depend on how you define magic......if you see what I am trying to illustrate, the magic of the ancients may well exist, only we call it by another name.

Hmm well I would also factor logic in that, and whether some things are more of a waste of time than others :p

If you remember a prior conversation we had on logic, it is important to apply logic to the criteria in which that logic is based, it is difficult to assume the same logic applies to different criteria...that would be an illogical assumption to make.

However, of course some things are more likely than others, but that wasn't the point I was making....only that making definitive positions when there is not enough (or any) evidence to support that position is not a logical assumption to make, regardless of the criteria applied.

An open mind to the possibility doesn't mean that we should not be sceptical of that possibility or the degree to which we apply that scepticism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom