• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do GPU’s go bad?

Permabanned
my sons pc was upgraded over the last 2 months, to day i've taken his old 5700 xt and put it into my media center to upgrade the GTX 780(lol) that was in there.

The 5700xt is idling at 49c with 50% fan, i've repasted it and still still there. under load it at 110c.
i did a DDU clear and installed the recommended drivers.

could there be anything to look at or is it bin time.

GPU is a Sapphire pulse 5700xt

Last edited:
Does the media centre pc have enough air flow ? What type of case is it and most media case pcs look like hi-fi gear and have poor ventilation and fans that need adding normally, unless you mean some HTPC in a small-ish case ?

Does the 5700xt have a dual bios switch on it too ? Maybe worth trying other bios on it as a test too if it has one. Or maybe not well re-pasted and put back together, were the thermal pads looking ok too and you made sure to apply enough thermal paste and pressure (screwed down enough) when putting it back together.

all test's are with side panel off.
all pad's look good and i put plenty of paiste on.

the temp was high before i re-pasted it i wouldn't have done it if not needed

Memory and VRM temps all look good. it just the die, temp one is at 87c under load the hotspot is at 110c

all test's are with side panel off.
all pad's look good and i put plenty of paiste on.

the temp was high before i re-pasted it i wouldn't have done it if not needed

Memory and VRM temps all look good. it just the die, temp one is at 87c under load the hotspot is at 110c
Too much paste can potentially cause overheating issues too.

I can't say in the many years I've been messing with computers, I've ever seen one go "bad", and start overheating itself, unless there is a cooling issue anyway. If the GPU fans or overall case airflow is crap. Even then, that can generally take a beating.

Back
Top Bottom