Do I give Apple a try?

Soldato
OP
So far so good. Not put my banking apps on it yet as I might get the screen repaired from apple for £150 and don't feel comfortable sending the phone with all that important data.

I do miss the 6.7inch screen of my Samsung S10 Lite though, I've been using phone with at least 6.5inch screens for years so this iphone 11 feel tiny.

The fave unlock is much faster though, and I feel apps load quicker too. The camera is pretty decent too.

One question though, I've exported my Google authenticator codes to the phone but they don't work on this forum. Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Soldato
OP
So it's been a few days now and I've come to the conclusion that it all comes down to personal preference. This iPhone 11 does all the same things I need my Samsung S10 Lite to do so I've decided not to jump ship.

I might do if I ever get an apple watch but I can't see that happening.

What I do like about the iPhone me is thst the face ID is much quicker, colours are more accurate and it feels nice to hold. The navigation around the phone is buttery smooth and the battery life seemed great considering its a few years old.

Maybe if Apple develop something truly groundbreaking that Android can't copy I'd go for an iPhone

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So it's been a few days now and I've come to the conclusion that it all comes down to personal preference. This iPhone 11 does all the same things I need my Samsung S10 Lite to do so I've decided not to jump ship.

What I do like about the iPhone me is thst the face ID is much quicker, colours are more accurate and it feels nice to hold. The navigation around the phone is buttery smooth and the battery life seemed great considering its a few years old.

Maybe if Apple develop something truly groundbreaking that Android can't copy I'd go for an iPhone
One of the biggest hurdles when making a big switch is muscle memory and familiarity.

Soldato
OP
One of the biggest hurdles when making a big switch is muscle memory and familiarity.

Tbh I found it really easy to navigate around the iPhone. For me it felt like an Android but with a new skin or theme if you will. Yes things are in different locations but in the end they both do the same thing.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Tbh I found it really easy to navigate around the iPhone. For me it felt like an Android but with a new skin or theme if you will. Yes things are in different locations but in the end they both do the same thing.

Absolutely, when you boil usage down to it's core both do the same thing.

Caporegime

The one bit that Android can’t do is the ecosystem if you have multiple Apple Stuff. Got a message on your phone? Your Apple Watch will flash and buzz. Playing an Podcast? Or Music? The watch becomes a remote that you can fast forward, rewind, pause etc. All the photos sync, even bookmarks syncs between the computer to the iphone to the iPad.

Android due to it’s fractured nature, it’s very hard to get that integration unless you got all Samsung but then does windows sync photos and messages to the phone?

Caporegime
The one bit that Android can’t do is the ecosystem if you have multiple Apple Stuff. Got a message on your phone? Your Apple Watch will flash and buzz. Playing an Podcast? Or Music? The watch becomes a remote that you can fast forward, rewind, pause etc. All the photos sync, even bookmarks syncs between the computer to the iphone to the iPad.

Android due to it’s fractured nature, it’s very hard to get that integration unless you got all Samsung but then does windows sync photos and messages to the phone?

Yeah Samsung can default to using Onedrive for photo storage and Windows has baked in android messaging/photo transfer. It's not as slick as Apple still though.

Soldato
OP

Yes that does sound good but my Garmin Vivo Sport watch does that too. I can forward songs on Spotify and read messages. I can't answer calls from it though but that's no biggie

Caporegime
This is the big sell for me. Gone are the days where I enjoy tinkering. I use the default apps mostly and use everything Apple and everything works extremely well, no need for me to think about it.

My iMac is on a default wallpaper!

I remember i jailbreak my iPhone 1 and got different icon pack and all that stuff, no more. I just use it and be happy.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My iMac is on a default wallpaper!

I remember i jailbreak my iPhone 1 and got different icon pack and all that stuff, no more. I just use it and be happy.
The other thing is when it comes to buying hardware its really easy. Across all categories Apple delivers solid products. Watch, Phone, Computer, Tablet, headphones etc.

Soldato
2 years ago I got a 2016 SE iPhone so I could use car play.

I was very impressed with how well it was working, how smooth everything felt and that it was still getting updates... acually i think its just fell out of getting updates. Most impressive was the keyboard, it just worked. Must better at knowing the keys pressed and also predicting my words. Ended up using the SE.

Shortly after the 2016 SE (perhaps 3-6) months, I binned off my Pixel 3 and got a iPhone 12 mini. I've loved it ever since.

Had always been somewhat diehard Android, but i was convinced otherwise after trying an old model never mind a new one.

Soldato
Yes that does sound good but my Garmin Vivo Sport watch does that too. I can forward songs on Spotify and read messages. I can't answer calls from it though but that's no biggie

Was about to say, most smart watches (especially Wear OS based) will do that with an Android devices and Microsoft's Phone Companion does the Android Windows integrations. And there's plenty of third-party solutions.
Android is certainly fractured but, @Raymond Lin's "The one bit that Android can’t do..." and "..it’s very hard to get that integration" might have been correct a few years back but it isn't really the case now; as @Minstadave says, it's just not as slick as Apple's integration.

Soldato

All the watch stuff you have listed works like this on samsung (watch4 and S10+). I sync all my bookmark, pictures and notes with my ipad pro, phone and pc with google apps ie chrome, photos and keeper. Its all pretty easy and works fine, google takes care of everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
All the watch stuff you have listed works like this on samsung (watch4 and S10+). I synce all my bookmaark, pictures and notes with my ipad pro, phone and pc with google apps ie chrome, photos and keeper. Its all pretty easy and works fine, google takes care of everything.
agreed. If you go with apple and use apple apps etc then the sync is there. If you go with android and use google/google apps then the sync there. If you start mix and matching thing(which is the main thing about android, freedom to do what ever) then you're obviously asking for issues.

but google pixel syncs with all google services like my iphone 13 does with apple services.

my gfs samsung syncs with all samsung services she uses just the same way my iphone does and my pixel 5/6 did.

the days of android being clunky are gone, its the old opinions/views that are still around. But yes once you get into the eco-system it's hard to get out.

Soldato
agreed. If you go with apple and use apple apps etc then the sync is there. If you go with android and use google/google apps then the sync there. If you start mix and matching thing(which is the main thing about android, freedom to do what ever) then you're obviously asking for issues.

but google pixel syncs with all google services like my iphone 13 does with apple services.

my gfs samsung syncs with all samsung services she uses just the same way my iphone does and my pixel 5/6 did.

the days of android being clunky are gone, its the old opinions/views that are still around. But yes once you get into the eco-system it's hard to get out.

I don't really have any issues mix and matching, I just use google services across all three platforms ie ipad, mobile and pc. For me it works well across all the platforms.

Soldato
I don't really have any issues mix and matching, I just use google services across all three platforms ie ipad, mobile and pc. For me it works well across all the platforms.
The only shortcoming with mixing android with apple I’ve come across is that google photos on my ipad doesnt sync all that quickly. Take a photo on my pixel, open google photos on my pc and the photo is there straight away. Definitely not the case when opening it on the ipad. But generally speaking the two platforms play together just fine.

Back
Top Bottom