Do I need a new CPU and motherboard as part of my upgrade plans?

Associate
Hello All,

First time posting on this forum. I'm planning to upgrade my computer with a new GPU (waiting for new line of Nvidia cards) and some RAM, but I'm not sure whether I should first be focusing on a new CPU and motherboard?

I don't need my rig to be playing the latest games at the best settings (I tend to play game of the year titles a year after they've been released!) but it would be nice if my set up could at least handle those titles on mid-high settings. Example of the types of games I play currently: Witcher 3, MGSV, XCom2, Total War Warhammer. Examples of games I would like to play on 'high' settings in the future: Red Dead Redemption 2; Metro Exodus; Fallout 76.

Rig details below (1080p monitor). Any help really appreciated!

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690k overclocked to 4.6
CPU Cooler - Be Quiet. Pure Rock
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X - Gaming 3
RAM - 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2 x 4GB)
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTZ 970 4GB
PSU - 600w FSP

Jake

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies - really appreciate it! Orbital Wash: it's 1080p and I'll keep my eye out of an i7, thanks! . Quartz: thanks, they're relatively inexpensive so it would make sense to do that EsaT: Thanks that's a really useful summary of CPU's and I feel confident that there's still some legs in it for at least another year (just trying to spread the cost really!). As per yours and Quartz's advice I'll have a look at the model of PSU next time I've got it open. It's been running for a while so it's probably due an upgrade and I'll go for something more quality this time. Sound is good. I've got some Mordaunt Short speakers which are ace :).

Again, thanks everyone.

Jake

Hi Both,

EsaT: Thanks again. Learning a lot about CPU's which is all good especially when newer doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot better. I'll definitely keep an eye out for Zen2. I'm not wedded to Intel in that sense.

Orbital Wash: Thanks. I didn't really know about the balance between GPU and CPU. Just tested on Fallout 4 using CAM and the share of the load is actually fairly equal (slightly in favour of GPU) which would hint towards getting a new CPU in the not so distant future. So in that sense if I got a 4k screen I would need a more powerful graphics card than if I was playing 1080p, but the flipside is that the CPU wouldn't have to work as hard?

Cheers,

Jake

Back
Top Bottom