Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Soldato
I have an xp 1.3ghz 9700 pro, 512ram setup at the moment. Very old.

I use an Enermax Active PFC EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA) 460W PSU.

On the front of the box it says 'support p4&k8. ATX 12v ver. 1.2'

Will this be ok for my new pc which will be something like:

- Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-118-AS)
- XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI VIVO PCI-E
- AMD Opteron UP 165 Dual Core San Diego 1.8GHz 2MB Cache (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-151-AM) - 0551 UPMW OEM

460W sounds like a lot to me, but my only worry is - does it have the correct connectors?
I've been out of the upgrade game for a while, and I don't know if there's any *special* connections needed for the mobo/gfx/cpu or what have you - that my current PSU doesn't have.

I know my Radeon uses just a standard floppy drive power supply cable, I assume they still use this?

Thanks for any info.
It will either save me £70+ or mean I will order one and can get playing with all my bits at once :)

Man of Honour
Nope, GFX now uses special PCI-E connectors, but you can get adapters. I'd reccomend a new PSU anyway, as you'll need it to support that ATX 2.0 Mobo.

Man of Honour
The hiper ones are good. They'll have all you need. if they don't take your fancy just get any that supports ATX 2.0 and has PCI-E cables as standard (PCI-E isn't THAT important as you can get adapters for them).

Yes that's fine :D

Associate
KingAdora said:
Are these as good quality as the Enermax?
Might go for that instead if it's ok..

Yes, they're excellent high quality power supplies. Infact, OcUK use them in some of their top-end ready built systems.

Associate
Zefan said:
Nope, GFX now uses special PCI-E connectors, but you can get adapters. I'd reccomend a new PSU anyway, as you'll need it to support that ATX 2.0 Mobo.

Whats wrong with using an adapter for the atx connector as well?

I have that exact PSU running my rig fine. ATX2.0 board and PCI-E.

Associate
A whole new PSU seems overkill to me A 20 to 24 pin adapter and some PCI-E adapters should do the trick. Why not try it out first before spending £50 that probably will prove to be unecessary?

Marc

Back
Top Bottom