do i really need all domain variations?

i'm getting a long list of domains i own now which although is good as most serve a purpose, i'm finding that i also own a lot that are just variations of the excisting domains and unsure if i really need them. for instance i own mybusiness.co.uk, i've also decided to buy the .com, .org, .net versions of this, so it's getting expensive each year to renew all.

i'm wondering is it really worth bothering getting them all? as long as i own the main 2 i feel .org and .net i can perhaps forget, but the fear is what if another business buys them, could this lead to issues years down the road.

I'd hold onto .com and co.uk. The rest I wouldn't be bothered with. Depends on size of business though. If I were running a huge conglomerate I'd want as many variations as possible. If I was running a one man plumbing company, I'd prob just keep the co.uk. If I had a website at all.

.co is the top level domain for the Republic of Colombia. They're trying to make it the next .com, but I it's just a good way of getting people to part with their money.

I'd suggest you just stick with the offical meanings and get the domains that are actually applicable, or better yet, check your traffic and figure out the value of each variation and keep the ones which are actually useful.

I would go for the .net and .org as well as the .com and .co.uk simply because it is possible to get a .net and .org ranking highly for your brand name if someone else registered them.

A friend had an issue whereby he had the .com version of his domain, and a competitor bought the .net, and used a massive SEO campaign to rank more highly than his .com. Whilst technically, he might have been able to bring a case for passing off, it all gets very complicated when your competitor is overseas etc.

I'd just get them registered and avoid the potential complications.

Depends what type of business / sites they are, if it's expensive to spend £30 a year you can't be making that much off them.

Back
Top Bottom