Do I swap or?

Associate
Hello everyone.

My wife currently drives a Ford Focus 1.5 auto estate (petrol). It’s just coming up to 5 years old and I want to look at getting a Hybrid suv..

I want the Toyota RAV4 (current model), she likes the Mini Countryman which is ok but not very big when I’m over 6ft and our lads not far off.

I do like the Volvo XC40 but not sure on the reliability and my money won’t get the model I want.

Currently the focus is only being used to ferry the kids back and forth from school (3 miles a day) and then the odd family break twice a year to Wales/Devon. In the week it averages about 30mpg and about 35 on longer journeys.

It’s only done 20k miles and had a few electrical problems lately with the emissions and air blowers not working both which cost me £££’s.

I’ve looked in to an electric car but the insurance out weighs the cheapness of charging so doesn’t work out to be any cheaper.

I have a driveway so have the room for a charger.....

Then again if I get the RAV4 I wouldn’t need a charger.

What’s are your thoughts, should I save my money and keep the Ford hoping it’ll never break again or swap it for a RAV4 or Countryman...?

Soldato
Your car will need repairing again, it is just a case of when and how much it will cost. With that reality out of the way the real question is what is the motivation to swap?

If it's to save fuel costs on 6 miles a day then obviously stick with what you've got.

If it's to save money on repairs then stick with what you've got because unless you are extremely unlucky depreciation will outweigh repair costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well presumably you own the Ford and you’d be borrowing to buy the others.

I’d keep the Ford. Any interest on a loan plus paying the loan will eclipse the running cost.

Your annual milage isn’t high enough to warrant changing for anything other than you want a new car.

New countryman out in about a month: I’d wait to see what it looks like before putting money down.

Associate
OP
I already have the money set aside so no loans needed. Could probably afford £22-£23k. Would never buy a new one.

Could never leave my wife without a car.. kids and accidents and shopping.... plus it’s our main car as I have Mini Cooper.

Bloody hilly round here anyway.

Just worried about the reliability with this car... it’s like an old boiler at the moment.

Had Toyotas before and no they are bomb proof and totally reliable.

Just wondering if these hybrids are worth the exchange.

Soldato
Sounds like your mind is set on a change: I’d be banking the money/interest and paying the focus running costs. As your annual milage is so low it’s not going to break or wear things out excessively, but driving it so little won’t help.

The hybrid mini is just a small range battery, and you’ll be almost out or out of warranty on any you purchase but can buy an extended warranty with mini.

We have a regular petrol and I find the space not to be a problem, if your son is 6ft he can sit in the front anyway? I’ve sat in the back/had adults in the back of ours and it isn’t a problem. Again your use is also only 1.5 miles each way.

You’ll want to look for the facelift with the brexit rear lights (most obvious feature) if you are spending at the top of your budget.

Associate
OP
If I get the mini I'll need a charger so that about £1500 (+ installation) so that less car to buy which will get a 2020 plate one... The rav4 has no plug in so no charger.

I've looked at the Extended warranties and they aren't cheap... £600 a year...

Does anyone know about these self charging hybrids are they any good.... Had a few Toyotas before and found them to be totally bomb proof and ultra-reliable.

Another reason for wanting a 4x4 is that we moved out to a small village last year so hills everywhere and surrounded by un-salted lanes (in winter).

Don't need a fully fledged 4x4 just enough to get us out of trouble... in the winter.

Soldato
Put a set of winter tyres on the Focus and it'll walk clean past any of the other AWD SUVs (if they're on summers) come icy and snowy days, if you ever experience any. And it'll be far safer and easier to drive in such conditions, to boot.

Can't go far wrong with a Lexus/Toyota/Suzuki hybrid, though (I only mention Suzuki because it offers a lot of Toyota product these days – Across, Swace, etc.), if you want such a thing. Up to a ten-year, 100,000-mile warranty from all of the aforementioned if the car meets the criteria and you get it serviced at an approved facility, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming you are about to change car anyway (which it reads like) then the only one there I'd consider is the RAV4 (assuming it's the iteration from circa 2020 onwards).

There's no way it'll represent an overall money saving exercise, but then no change from a focus of a few years old will. It does however have loads of room (for the occasional holiday), it's unlikely to break but if you take it to Toyota to service every year it'll have manufacturers warranty coverage until it's about ten years old anyway.

XC40 is a good bit smaller overall than a focus estate- particularly boot wise, but nice enough car. Countryman I just completely dislike them tbh

Last edited:
Soldato
It is doubtful your current car is about to explode, or require massive repair bills, over the next few years. A 5 year old Focus is hardly past it. Especially at your mileage.

So with that, it is obvious you just want a new car for the sake of having a new car. Which is also fine.

Rav 4 sounds like the way you want to go. Or just straight Petrol. You are unlikely to recoup any initial extra outlay, either for the hybrid engine, or the charger, due to the low miles you do.

All seasons tyres will work better for you than a 4x4 on summer tyres. So consider that. You don't NEED a 4x4 or SUV. Unless you are now so in the country that ground clearance might become an issue.

Associate
OP
I just worry cos in the last two years I have emissions problems (strange on a petrol car) which the garage couldn't figure out what was the problem and cost be £800 to fix then in January all the blowers stopped working and cost me £350 to fix.

Had numerous electrical problems which were fixed under warranty.... electric windows....radio...touch screen....boot not locking....

its not the most economical car either...

I just thought a hybrid would be better for smaller trips....

Soldato
Fuel economy is basically irrelevant when doing 3 miles though. Even if it did 20mpg (and it definitely does more than that) that is less than a pound a day in fuel. You'll literally never see the return back on a hybrid from an economy point of view.

I don't get why you even need a car for a 1.5 mile each way journey.
Depends on the circumstances. My wife does a 1.7 mile trip to her parents at least 4 times a week. Country roads, no foot paths and a toddler in tow. Anything other than driving it wouldn't be safe.

Associate
OP
Fuel economy is basically irrelevant when doing 3 miles though. Even if it did 20mpg (and it definitely does more than that) that is less than a pound a day in fuel. You'll literally never see the return back on a hybrid from an economy point of view.

Depends on the circumstances. My wife does a 1.7 mile trip to her parents at least 4 times a week. Country roads, no foot paths and a toddler in tow. Anything other than driving it wouldn't be safe.
Fuel economy would be better and wouldn't matter if we both worked but only a single earner at £45k it still something that could be better.

Yep exactly the same here. no foot paths and young boys in tow...

Don't trust other drivers to keep in the middle... much safer to drive that distance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom