Do I upgrade or do i wait?

Associate
Hi all

Have been out of sync with the pc landscape for a few years so I am unsure whether this is the right time to upgrade or should I wait until the new AMD cpus are out later this year.

Currently have:
Ryzen 3700x

Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18​

B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
500gb nvme

I was thinking of upgrading to:

Ryzen 38003xd
MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
2tb nvme
And keep the 3080 until the 5000 series come out.

Is it sensible to upgrade now or should I wait?
I mainly play warzone but on a 34 ultra wide and I am seeing the game jerk a bit I think due to cpu?
Although I haven't played many of the latest titles I want a machine that can handle them.
I haven't been able to make up my mind if I want RT or not but I think dlss is a good feature to keep?

Tbh I'm confused so any guidance appreciated

I'm getting fustrated in warzone as it gets very spikey with frame drops and the cpu response time fluctuates from 5-20ms. So in my mind a £200 upgrade until the end if the year is worth it, as i can keep the pc for my son, and upgrade to the really new shiny stuff at the end of the year.

I could stick it out as I'm not a pro gamer but I feel 200 is decent value

Last edited:
So are we saying:
1. Do nothing and upgrade when zen5 is out
2. Drop 200 for a 5800 and see an upgrade of some description
3. Say fk it and upgrade to am5 and 7800x3d and a 4090

I'd call it a tie, at 1440 on average it's ahead of the 3080, at 4k, it's a couple frames behind. and playing at 1440 ultrawide, am guessing dlss will be a must, because you'll be gpu bottlenecked

seperately, Warzone...downloaded on steam as said free, but can't find any game i can play without buying for £40 odd. I take it it's not like fortnite where you can play for free and then spend money on cosmetics etc???
...in which case I wont be seeing how it does as not really a game I'd be playing. Last purchase is AvatarFOP, and mainly play grounded or sea of thieves with my youngest son through gamepass ultimate, and have to have 2 of those, so not splashing anymore cash
You can definitely play for free. However the multiplayer mode isn't, you need to select warzone

OK so I went for it an got a 5800x3d.
The first thing I've noticed is wow the temps, cpu at 80deg in warzone. I'm reading that's normal with this cache?

Secondly, I've seen a 10-15 fps increase but the feel and smoothness of the game has increased dramatically, as in I can really feel it and it makes hitting targets so much easier.

So would say for the price, and the fact I just drop the cpu in that has been a great upgrade to the machine. The only downside is the noise from my fans as it seems both the aio and gpu are going ful whack

So thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom