Do Paedos Really Get Beat Up In Jail?

Soldato
So a former employee of who I work for was recently convicted of child molestation...as you do. The office talk soon turned to the cliches of "He'll be bummed every day in the showers" to "He'll never get out, he'll be killed in there". One of the 'I know everything about the underworld (or at least pretend to)' blokes said "The lifers get their families looked after in exchange for beating up sex offenders" with the confidence of a former jailbird (despite not being one or having kind of criminal record).

I started to question this notion. Have people thought the films Scum and The Shawshank Redemption were documentaries? Surely modern prisons have certain levels of security and guards don't really 'turn a blind eye' to other prisoners being beaten up? Especially seeing as the people saying it also bemoan 'Political Correctness gone mad' and that damn European Court of Human Rights' for being over-protective of criminals most of the time.

Before anyone says it, no I do not sympathise with this man and nor do I fear for his safety (I hope it is true given the charge sheet), I just wondered if any police officers or prison officers could confirm or deny the cliche.

Caporegime
Aren't they housed separately from the rest for this reason?

I think the worst thing to be in prison is probably an ex-police officer rather than a 'nonce'.

Soldato
Is he a paedo. though, as in he's fiddled with pre-pubescent children or is he some bloke who got drunk on a night out and believed the 15 year old girl when she said she was 18?

Associate
yeah they are not the most liked people in prison so if u get angry (or want kudos)and want to take it out on someone no fellow mates are gonna complain if a paedo turns up dead in the morning.

But yeah peados will more than likely have it easier in jail than the rest :(

Last edited:
Soldato
They will generally be housed in a PC(protective custody) wing. I was speaking to someone a few months back and according to him there are plenty of people in general population that would love to kill these guys, what he said, I have no first hand knowledge. Was a bit shocked when he said that as it's not a part of life I know anything about.

There is an underbelly out there however that you rarely see, so I would imagine they won't be too popular to say the least. Prison laws and all that. I don't think rape is a such a big deal in UK prisons as it is in US prisons though.

Soldato
I don't know about the UK, But I am sure I remember accounts of prison riots in the USA where one of the first things the rioters do is try to kill all the people in the "sex offenders wing" (EG Oxy torch to the eyes until their heads explode from internal pressure! :eek:)

(If you are wondering how convicts might get hold of stuff like oxy/acet remember that US prisons are more like labour camps. there is a lot of industrial grade stuff available if it all goes pear shaped!)

It is also likely to be the case that none of the Guards will be likely to be wiling to risk their lives in the midst of a prison riot trying to protect the people on the "Sex Offenders" wing.

(After all, Would you?? :/ )

Soldato
I don't know about the UK, But I am sure I remember accounts of prison riots in the USA where one of the first things the rioters do is try to kill all the people in the "sex offenders wing" (EG Oxy torch to the eyes until their heads explode from internal pressure! :eek:)

(If you are wondering how convicts might get hold of stuff like oxy/acet remember that US prisons are more like labour camps. there is a lot of industrial grade stuff available if it all goes pear shaped!)

It is also likely to be the case that none of the Guards will be likely to be wiling to risk their lives in the midst of a prison riot trying to protect the people on the "Sex Offenders" wing.

(After all, Would you?? :/ )

Funnily enough I watched this docu not so long ago,k the guys they killed were actually snitches. It was the New Mexico prison riot, they took over the prison and cut through the bars to get to the PC wing. This was in the 70's when the prison system in the US was just going through desegregation and a lot of problems were going on.

Soldato
Funnily enough I watched this docu not so long ago,k the guys they killed were actually snitches. It was the New Mexico prison riot, they took over the prison and cut through the bars to get to the PC wing. This was in the 70's when the prison system in the US was just going through desegregation and a lot of problems were going on.

Actually you may be right, the sex offenders were simply on the same wing as the snitches (Along, IIRC, with some poor bloody unfortunate people who were simply on remand pending trial!)

Man of Honour
One of the things you find in prison is some really messed up and often strong values i.e. someone who has no problem beating another guy into a pulp will find laying a finger on a woman or child absolutely morally wrong and would have it in for someone who was say a rapist.

I suspect its not that common as a general thing but your not likely to last long if you've made the news and have notoriety for crimes against children whereas someone who has molested a couple of kids and not made national news, etc. will likely go under the radar.

Associate
I did a criminology course at Uni and my understanding of it is yes, sex-offenders suffer the worst in prison. They're viewed as the scum of the scum, they are more likely to be physically and sexually abused, particularly if they're not segregated. Things have come a long way since the "Shawshank era", but they are still more vulnerable than other categories of offenders.

Back
Top Bottom