Do people care about getting up to date Android security updates?

Associate
While I like my Moto G3 because it's so cheap and bog standard, I'm unlikely to go for another Moto because Lenovo don't do security updates in a timely fashion.

This. Would install a custom ROM if it wasn't for my banking app. Nokia recent phones and their very timely updates has impressed.

Phone updates shouldn't be something manufacturers shirk away from.

Caporegime
I think I'm on the August update, but honestly I couldn't care less if it's a month behind. I can't imagine I do anything on the phone that could result in a virus or whatever...

Soldato
I bet if you went up to a load of people in the street an asked them what the latest security update they have on there mobile phone I bet most of them wouldn't have a clue...;)

Man of Honour
I bet if you went up to a load of people in the street an asked them what the latest security update they have on there mobile phone I bet most of them wouldn't have a clue...;)
and this is part of the reason I strongly believe that it should be a legal requirement. e-crime is only getting larger. We have data protection laws, why doesn't it include companies having to keep systems upto date.

Soldato
and this is part of the reason I strongly believe that it should be a legal requirement. e-crime is only getting larger. We have data protection laws, why doesn't it include companies having to keep systems upto date.

The government is more fussed about people looking at nudes online than preventing criminal gangs from stealing your money direct from your bank or making big companies do right by their customers.

Soldato
Bought a Nokia 8 recently and within booting it up there were two updates waiting to be downloaded.

The last of which was the September update which patched the Bluebourne vulnerability. Keep up the great work HMD/Nokia.

Software / Security updates are vital in this day and age and why I will think very carefully when I buy a new phone. I rather have up to date security patches than a phone that has out of date software.

It's one of the main reasons I sold my Honor 9 as Huawei haven't been exactly speedy when it comes to their updates.

Soldato
Same. I can always turn to custom roms if I need the latest security but I care more about functionality and bug fixes over security - I've never really had a comprised device ever on android as I tend to download apps that I REALLY need and most of them are well known ones.
Being careful of what apps you download does nothing against something like stagefrieght or BlueBorne..

Associate
My LG G6 is still on July Security Patch do i care not in the slightest.

I'm more interested in getting updates that actually improve the phone functionality.

Soldato
People don't worry about security until it's an issue, then everyone wants to know why it wasn't fixed sooner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still on August on my S8. No sign of the September update but I expect it will be along in the next few weeks. Not really good enough but there we go.

Soldato
I am on the latest September update.

I reckon if my phone was to be taken/accessed without my knowledge then someone would be able to steal my identity, so in that regard I damn well want the latest security updates. It is a major factor when deciding on what phones to purchase.

Associate
Hate to say it as an Android user, but this is where Apple are way ahead of most of the pack. The Google Pixel phones are up there too but then they carry an iPhone-like price tag. From what I've seen, there's not many who are making an amazing effort to keep up to date - perhaps Nokia by the sounds of it, and for that reason, I may well add them to the list for my next device.

Associate
I do care, in an ideal world I would love an android phone with latest security.

My Galaxy C7 pro probably won't see another update, however my two previous flagships were woeful anyway.

Just decided I wanted a cheaper phone and was so used to not getting security updates it seemed a non issue.

Consequently I don't use it for Internet banking etc, never have on Android.

Man of Honour
I love my Lenovo P2. But the lack of software updates would make me think twice about it next time.
same, when I bought it, next update was in testing. then they pulled it. Very disappointed. I hope Lenovo change their updates (they're moving to a stock android I believe so some hope) as I like their hardware.

However, I couldn't go back to a ~3000mah battery, which makes finding a phone with good updates hard.

Back
Top Bottom