Do people not like heated seats?

Soldato
Yeah all my jap cars have had good hvac but the 5s seem to have always had a heater for a much bigger car in them .. they get hot quick and blast out a lot of air.
Wish it had cooled seats and a heated wheel though, when the sun is beating down on you with the roof down it can get sticky in there even with the AC - so sitting on a fridge would be nice :D

They probably just buy in Jap units tbh :p

Soldato
I love my heated seats and tend to use them a lot, not just in winter. I find them to be good for the back after I’ve had hours of lugging servers and storage arrays around too.

My previous car had them and my current car didn’t as standard. Fortunately the seats were crap anyway so I have retrofitted OEM BMW heated seats into the car, wired everything up, replaced the climate panel with an OEM one with heated seat controls and coded everything in. Looks and works the same as if it had it from factory. Definitely something I’ll be looking for as standard in future cars.

Soldato
My Octy's ones are the same.
The problem is that, being part of my core, my back and my bum were never cold in the first place. My hands are where the essential activity takes place during driving and they're far more exposed to the cold than any part that touches the seat...
That's what lane assist is for, so you can sit on your hands for a bit

Soldato
Electric cars mostly seem to have them as the purchase price can be high so you tend to get more extras as standard. Plus it's a common practise to use the seats plus more clothing then use less heating to eek those few extra miles between charges :)

They are good though in conjunction with the also common pre-heat function which when plugged in also pre-heats the battery and reduces the cold range loss in winter.

Weird quirk of the Tesla model differentiation is that the SR+ has 5 heated seats but the rear 3 are supposed to be disabled in software. At one point I definitely had them but you can never be sure the next time they do a software update!

Associate
Would love massaging seats but they will weigh a ton.
My old BMW had electric seats and i hardly used them as once i had my position happy it was just a waste of weight and they were slower to move than doing it by hand.

Soldato
I got heated seats and steering wheel when I got my new car earlier this year. I wasn’t going to get them but people at work said once I’d tried them in the cold I wouldn’t want a car without them again. They were right.

Associate
I think they're great. Never had them before but they are used daily this time of year and probably for the next few months. I've also got a heated stearing wheel and think it's brilliant although when I first got it I thought it would be a pointless option that I'd never use. I'd certainly want my next car to have one if possible.

Soldato
Having very little body fat I find I get cold really quickly, lose core temp and then it takes a long time to get warm again. Heated seats help reverse this tremendously.

Soldato
A colleague of mine has just bought a 2010 Ford Mondeo Titanium X with 106k on for £2400. To my surprise and his, not only does it have heated front seats, the seats are actually air conditioned as well!!!

Soldato
I used to think "Heated seats, yeah, no thanks" until I bought a car with them :). However, every winter I forgot about them for a while until suddenly it strikes me "turn on the heated seats".
Sold that car recently for an MX-5. With small cabin, good heater, heated seats, it soon gets nice and toasty inside (just as I like it!).
My runabout doesn't have heated seats and must admit I don't miss them in that car. It does only have fabric seats rather than cold leather. heated seats a nice to have however.
Buying any new car today I would spec them, definitely.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Don’t understand those who say they’re pointless/rubbish/feels like you wet yourself.
I use heated seats extensively and wouldn’t consider a car without them. Unless it’s a Caterham or something.

Back
Top Bottom