Do people realise how bad the Ambulance service is right now?

Last night my GF's father was very ill, violently sick with blood and in severe pain, they called the ambulance at 6pm, it arrived at 2.30am, right now he is still in the ambulance outside the hospital!

What the hell is going on? you can't even get into hospital via an ambulance, you can't see a Doctor anymore, seriously, how has this country fallen this far, you can't even rely on a basic emergency service.

"An ambulance worker says "worse than ever" queues outside hospitals in Somerset and across the South West are "without doubt" leading to deaths."

"They explained she had a severe head injury and her leg was badly hurt but we were told it would be a 10-hour wait for an ambulance and we'd have to get her to hospital ourselves."

"A total of 15 ambulances were seen queuing outside Southend Hospital today with the new MP branding it as a "totally unacceptable situation."

"Heart attack and stroke patients waiting almost an hour for ambulances in West Midlands"

"Inspectors have said the number of ambulances waiting outside the Royal Cornwall Hospital is a major issue."

119970658-rcht.jpg

This /\ is a picture of my local hospital, Where's the public outcry? this should be on the front page of every newspaper? All these Ambulances sitting there that should be available for other emergencies.

Last edited:
I think the 111 service can be part of the problem. From anecdotal evidence, people often seem to ring up 111 with a minor problem not necessarily wanting an ambulance (in many cases after being unable to get a GP appointment) and then it's the 111 service that decides to send them an ambulance because their software tool says so.

The 111 service is part of the problem because as you say local doctors surgeries are failing people, it's practically impossible to get an appointment at my local Doctors, local Doctors should be the first port of call to help create a buffer for the hospitals.

What was stopping someone driving him to the hospital? Lots of people call ambulances when there are better alternatives.

I used to work in a hospital FWIW.

He was in a very bad way sicking up blood all the time, couldn't stand up etc, it's not as simple as you think to just 'pop him in the car', your first instinct in this scenario is to ring an ambulance, and I believe the right one, the service should've of been there.

There are lots of different private service providers. I don't know what the proportions are exactly, but it's not an outlier.....a large portion of the ambulance service now exists to line shareholder pockets.

This is the problem when you break up the NHS into different private service providers, it doesn't become cost efficient at all, they all end becoming 'for profit' and creaming off the top, prime exmaple right now with NHS having record funding but no real improvements because the money gets hoovered up.

"More than £96bn of health service funding has gone to non-NHS providers of care over the last decade, including private firms such as Virgin Care, research has revealed.

The amount of money flowing out of the NHS in England to for-profit companies, voluntary groups and not-for-profits has grown from £8.4bn in 2010 to £14.4bn last year – a 72% jump."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom