Do premium economy seats recline too much?

Soldato
Whilst doing some research for a forthcoming trip, I've noticed that the latest incarnations of premium economy in general, and BA World Traveller Plus in particular, have seats that recline a huge amount.

In one video I watched, when the seat in front was fully reclined, not only was the seat back "in your face" but made it almost impossible to actually get in or out of your own seat!
There was actually an argument that regular economy was superior in this regard as the seats didn't recline anywhere near as much.

Has anyone had similar issues or problems flying premium eco recently?

Could imagine it being quite annoying on a day flight if you don't want to sleep and the person in front reclines fully back.

This is my issue. Sure, on a night flight pretty much everyone will recline anyway but, on a day flight, I very rarely want to recline my seat but the person in front will always push theirs right back and it feels like my personal space is being invaded.

Aside from this issue, WT+ does look decent tbh with good seat width and leg room and a reasonable bump over basic cattle class.

I've splurged on Club World anyway so not an issue, just something I noticed.

Let us know how it goes, I've not flown BA CW for a while so be interested to see how you find it as I'm planning a trip over to the West Coast shortly and doing that in CW.

This trip isn't until next year so you'll undoubtedly travel before I do.

I'm doing the East Coast and all the planes on that route have been upgraded to the new Club World Suites, whilst I believe they're still completing the upgrades to some of the Airbuses used on the West Coast route so probably best to check.

New club suite is very good, the seat has good space and storage and is much more private than the old club world seat, but with that it does feel a bit more claustrophobic. Definitely worth the extra, always fly club minimum long haul and to end the journey either way without any awful neck or leg cramps is perfect.

Yeah I'm never doing long-haul economy ever again, I was just wondering whether I could get away with WTP but that idea was short-lived :)

Competition between the airlines is really pushing the business class game on these days. I think increasing numbers of "private" (i.e. non-business) travellers are opting to pay for business class and they're all competing for these passengers.

The latest business class products would have passed for First five years ago.

I've never done first and don't fly often enough to acrue and use points/Avios frequent flyer benefits so just have to book stupidly early to get a decent price on business class.

One day, when I'm flying alone, I'll fork out for first just for the experience but I'm not doing it for two people! :)

Back
Top Bottom