Do we 'need' to shower/bath everyday?

Soldato
There was a massive thread about this on another forum I visit. It was more along the lines of shampoo and soap and other products that we are all sold to make ourselves clean and stuff in the shower/bath rather than not bathing

Essentially it seemed that you were better off without it all. Washing is still needed obviously but all those products aren't as they just remove all the stuff your body is pumping out trying to clean itself. It can take a week or so for your body to get its balance back apparently but once it does they found their skin was better, hair was less dandruffy (if they had a problem with it) etc etc.

A few people who needed prescription shampoo found that they didn't actually need anything, It was just that the prescription shampoo to fix scalp issues which had only come up because they tried using other shampoo which cause issues.

The only product I use in the shower is shampoo.

Associate
I shower every day, yesterday I did two gym sessions so total amount of showers on top of my normal was three.

Only other time I have more than one is if it's red hot outside and I've been exerting myself.

Soldato
Nope. It's bad for the skin as it removes oils and generally dries the skin out and a lot of the expensive product you put on (or even worse use to exfoliate with) only damages the skin further.

For medical reasons I have to avoid showering too much (can take more baths if needs be) and it takes ages to get the moisture back in my skin afterwards (talking well over an hour) but thankfully I don't sweat too much and so can get away with every other day unless it's a million degrees like today.

Soldato
I don't shower every day; every two days is my routine, unless I've been doing something exercisey. Nobody has mentioned that they can smell my BO, so I think it's enough.

Edit: I sometimes leave it a third day if I know I'm not going out, but I do start to feel a bit scuzzy after that.

Soldato
I don't shower every day; every two days is my routine, unless I've been doing something exercisey. Nobody has mentioned that they can smell my BO, so I think it's enough.

Edit: I sometimes leave it a third day if I know I'm not going out, but I do start to feel a bit scuzzy after that.

+1

Associate

Same here. I don't know if this is academically accredited but apparently if you wash too much your immune system can end up weaker due to there being fewer wee beasties in your system for it to snap up and learn to defend against

Associate
A shower every morning, and possibly when I get in from work, depending on how hot it gets at work. My hands take most of the punishment, washing/applying alcohol gel every 20-30 minutes or so :\

Associate
It depends on age. As a teenager there's all kinds of hormonal things going on and you are generally more active and sweat more. Back then I used to shower daily. Now, mid thirties it's an every other day thing, maybe 3 days. If it wasn't enough my wife would be the first to tell me. I have a desk job though so I imagine those with physical jobs need more. I wonder how much energy we'd save if we weren't all so vain?

Soldato
i ususally take my annual shower every september, so that i wash off all the hot summer sweat, but this year with this late heat we've been having to think im gonna have to push back my annual shower to october :mad:

Associate
Shower every day except the weekend when I might have one, depending on if I'm venturing outside. If I have a week off I'm quite happy to leave it a few days until I start to notice my own smell :D

Soldato
Usually shower every other day for me, unless I've done something energetic or it's a hot day.

Due to a recent head injury I was unable to wash my hair for a week. My hair or head didn't feel dirty or greasy. I guess having a short crop (<20mm) of hair helps.

Back
Top Bottom