Do we 'need' to shower/bath everyday?

Personally I shower once a day and use a daily exfoliator and hydrating cream but being someone that is interested in the science and biology I sometimes wonder how necessary it really is to have a daily shower/bath even when we're not leading an active lifestyle, and whether it does more harm than good, I can't help feeling sometimes that it's unhealthy taking away our natural oils everyday, oils that help keep our skins elasticity which in turn helps us look more youthful as we age.

I'm not proposing that we shouldn't be hygienic but I perhaps feel that we may be going a little to far?, I have a couple of friends that say they shower at least twice a day as if it's a badge of honer, but is that really healthy?

Soldato
Only more than once if it's after a gym session or something. Once a day is definate for me, my hair feels horrible and knotty if I don't shower.

Caporegime
Personally I shower once a day and use a daily exfoliator and hydrating cream but being someone that is interested in the science and biology I sometimes wonder how necessary it really is to have a daily shower/bath even when we're not leading an active lifestyle, and whether it does more harm than good, I can't help feeling sometimes that it's unhealthy taking away our natural oils everyday, oils that help keep our skins elasticity which in turn helps us look more youthful as we age.

I'm not proposing that we shouldn't be hygienic but I perhaps feel that we may be going a little to far?, I have a couple of friends that say they shower at least twice a day as if it's a badge of honer, but is that really healthy?

you don't need to in biological terms but you may smell if you don't/

Soldato
I shower twice a day usually, morning and evening, if its the summer and I am at home, I will jump the shower a good few times a day, nothing like a cold shower to freshen up when its hot and sticky

Caporegime
True, the need to shower/bath daily I suppose can also depend to how susceptible you are to sweating and emitting odours but we are all different in that regards, it takes a lot for me to work up a sweet :o

depends what you do too.

i scrub my hands loads when i get back in because the barrier cream + industrial soap stink something horrible.

Caporegime
I don't think once a day is necessary. If you don't smell after a day, then I can't see any reason why it should be a compulsory daily event.

I'd always shower before going somewhere nice, of course ;)

J.B

J.B

Soldato
I've been off all week and because I havent been doing much I shower once every couple of days.

When Im working I shower every morning, partly to wake me up and partly because I sweat like a rapist when Im on the tube.

Soldato
In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an ex-foliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial masque which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturiser, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturising protective lotion

Caporegime
In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an ex-foliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial masque which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturiser, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturising protective lotion

And by the time you've finished it's time to go to bed? :p

Associate
Washing is terrible for the skin. Using soap even more so and 'exfoliating' or 'scrubbing' is ridiculously harmful.

Of course, nobody wants to smell, and god forbid the cosmetics companies ever go short of ££.

Man of Honour
Depending on the person I don't think shower/bath every day is needed. I do usually have a quick wash and freshen up after work most days tho especially if its been a warm day and generally shower every other day, I never go more than 2-3 days without showering. I don't think showering more than once a day is required unless you sweat badly, etc. or doing something where you get grimey.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Haha, note to self to read that on the train next week :cool:

May I also draw your attention to a new restaurant that has opened, if you don't already know about it:

http://www.thedorsia.co.uk/

Associate

that has to be the gayest post I have ever seen on here :eek:

Back
Top Bottom