Do you charge your children "keep" or rent? Do/did you pay it yourself?

Soldato
Keep... I remember when my parents told me about keep back in the day (90s) and I laughed in their face and thought they were joking. Then I learned that it was actually a thing, and gradually began to understand why it was a thing.
Back in the late 90s when I started work I used to pay about £100 a month.
Given inflation 20 years later, that today would supposedly be £184 according to this bank of england calculator
What do you think on the matter?
I know a lot charge it, but then save it up and give it back for a house deposit. For those that will do that, are your kids aware that this is what you will do, or will it be a surprise for when the time comes?

Soldato
OP
Seems to be a general consensus that it still seems relevant and right in 2024. I think I agree with this. I think it does teach important lessons about finances and that you have to pay your way. It's such a good deal in comparison to renting for what you get in most circumstances, that I don't think most kids mind it too much. It's just knowing what to charge.

What about those kids who won't get a job. You can't charge them keep if they are not earning, so some might be encouraged to be a bum and never leave home. How do you break that cycle and encourage them to get work? I guess you stop buying them anything but then....if they already have most things they want/need...difficult one.

Back
Top Bottom