Do you have "POLICY ADMIN SERVICES"

Soldato
So....was on the phone to the bank this a.m. sorting out a loan. As procedure they check certain outgoings on your account, and the guy says "what Policy Admin Services? You've had a direct debit for £7.99 goig to them every month since November 2002"
Me: "err...that's your lot's admin fee for having an overdraft"
him: "err...nope, nothing to do with us"
So, he gives me the phone number associated with the DD, i google it and find out from moneysavingexpert.com that its Phones4u, and their dirty policy of phone insurance whether you want it or not that never expires.
Back in 2002 i bought a phone contract, over the phne, but i never take phone insurance out as i think its a con.
I ring them up and they promise to ring me back withing 48 hours.
2 hours later they ring me and go through a few very mundane and almost trivial details, then apologise and agree to refund ALL 114 monthly payments of £7.99 plus simple interest at 8%, which is approx. £983 to be delivered by BACS back to my account within 5 working days.

CH-CHIINNGG!!! What a result! :D

I guess what with all the PPI claims they don't really have a leg to stand on as they couldn't produce proof of me signing any DD mandate.

Guys, i know i was remiss for not spotting it sooner, but beware if you have POLICY ADMIN SERVICES as a dd payment, you may want to investigate it if you don't think you took out phone insurance.

Bloody glad i did.

Last edited:
I got a cheque from the Inland Revenue for £1500 a few weeks back for three years worth of overpaid income tax. I've always been on PAYE so you'd expect they could get their sums right each pay day, and why did it take them three years to notice?

You are fairly lucky they can't produce the Direct Debit mandate.

The one you signed for your phone contract would have had this tied to it.

It isn't just phones4u, all the mobile retailers were and are at it. You have to cancel in the first month.

Back
Top Bottom