Do you pull out straight away (no not that lol)

Associate
It became force of habit to go the safe route, will probably stay that way until the option is removed.

Yes, it became force of habit after wiping a few drives years ago :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
I never bother ejecting them - but I do always wait a little after the last intentional write operation to ensure any (important) write buffer has been flushed.

Last edited:
Associate
Always eject. Not ejecting can cause issues using the USB drive in non-Windows devices. I've had non-windows devices refuse to mount or write to drives that have not been ejected.

Associate
OP
Always eject. Not ejecting can cause issues using the USB drive in non-Windows devices. I've had non-windows devices refuse to mount or write to drives that have not been ejected.
Thats a good point, if you get in the habbit of not ejecting you might do it on all non windows devices.

Soldato
Give it a short time for the Windows buffers to flush after the copy has finished before removing, 10 seconds is normally enough.

Soldato
Depends what version of Windows, i can't remember when MS changed the default policy but it used to be that USB drives would be set for 'better performance' but they changed it to 'quick removal'.

It can be changed via Device Manager - better performance uses system RAM to cache data before writing it to the drive, quick removal does not.

They changed it much later than i thought, Windows 10 v1809 onwards.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont eject, but do wait a few seconds. A lot of USB sticks dont have activity lights these days, but a new set I got the other day do.

After copying some files over onto it. Although the windows progress bar had finished and closed, and the USB stick activity light finished, after a couple of seconds there was an another short pulse of activity from the light on the drive. After that, it stayed inactive. So definitely worth waiting a few seconds before yanking it out.

Associate
I've always used the pull out method and it hasn't caused me any grief.

Not sure when the eject became largely irrelevant though, though could be why I've not had problems doing it

Soldato
I pretty much always eject through habit and also because I've had one external hard drive mess me about with it seemingly getting confused with it's drive letter when plugging in and it somehow retaining a file listing in Explorer of files that have long since been deleted. Must be something to do with me using several external drives and the laptop I use them one seems to try to assign them the same letter between them when they are plugged in. This all started happening when I once unplugged the drive without ejecting first. Tried rebuilding the recycle bin and even full formatted the drive and it still misbehaves. Thinking it may actually be some data Windows has retained about this drive that it still messes it about. Anyway, this has just reinforced by ejecting habit.

Soldato
Sometimes, it's basically just clearing the cache and checking all writes have been committed.

It's also more important, in my opinion, on what the disk has been formatted to, exFAT for example I'd always eject just because it seems so sensitive.

M.

Back
Top Bottom