Do you steal car parts?

Caporegime
Hello centurions, you look B-class dressed as A-class. Tricky to pull off, but so hot!

When facing into financial troubles - because you have a poorly paid job as a result of weakened school experiences and, perhaps, going to the other place if you were lucky enough that father could sell his car to afford one term fee at Ox but never Cam - do you ever steal exactly one number plate and the three valve caps?

Well, do I have an opportunity for you! Just yesterday, when I went out to West Auckland*, not only did I have the privilege of having my back number plate unmolested, I also got to keep a valve cap too!

I called the police because cloned plates can be a massive pain in the hoop, she was chill, told me to go to the VTNZ station, they were chill, got some sweet new plates, less than 20 bucks, and we're back in business.

The confusion we all shared was: why steal one plate? Why only take 3 valve caps? Are they running Del Boy's Reliant Regal van? Did they get interrupted? Did they get bored? Were the valve caps not bling enough and they tapped out?

When you're stealing parts of cars that aren't yours, what factors do you consider?

* I add this for the context it may give to a few posters. 10.30am Saturday morning, in a very public space.

Caporegime
OP
I once had one valve cap stolen, so maybe they got the other three from you.

That woudn't match though, would it? These were unglamarous (albeit not black rubber/plastic) ones, probably 5 years old, off-silver due to age, and entirely unstealable. Yet they were :D

iamdjdz said:
I also had my front number plate screws stolen but not the actual plate, it was highly unlikely they got disrupted so maybe the ones they had didn't fit. I got a handful of free ones from a dealer though so more fool the thieves.

Last time this happened to me (front and back) was in Glasgow due to "likely planned criminal activity". Stealing one seems like you just can't be bothered to do it properly.

Caporegime
OP
~ !UPDATE! ~

I received a letter from BP last week informing me that I should pay for the $56.94 amount of petrol which I hadn't paid for 3 weeks ago. The letter had a picture of my plate on a faded red early 90's Subaru which does not seem to be the same as my not 90's very white Mazda at a BP station near to the diving school I'd taken the kids to before said plate was stolen. I called the number and spoke to someone who sounded like she either was dead or wanted to die and that was a wrap.

Question: why steal one number plate and only three valve caps in order to only steal 60 bucks of fuel? Genuinely don't get it.

~ end of update ~

Back
Top Bottom