Docker based development

Soldato
Well the short version of the story is this. I need to develop a website and have a pretty good idea how I am going to do it. I'd call myself an intermediate level developer and since Python is my best programming language I think I am going to use that.

On the other hand I've never used Docker before in my development process. Someone told me about Git Lab which has an integrated CI / CD system and uses Docker and Kubernetes.

I'll be hosting my finished site on Microsoft Azure as they offer all the services that I require as well as supporting deployment using Docker and Kubernetes.

My question is this. If I build the website using Python and Django and use PostgreSQL as the database server should I include three Docker containers? One for Nginx or Apache for the HTTP server, one for Python and the Django website and one for PostgreSQL or should I use another method?

I'll need to do a lot of brushing up on my DevOps skills in this project but I want to make sure I am getting it right from the start.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful :). I'm installing Windows 10 Pro in a virtual machine so I can work on a clean system for development.

Soldato
OP
No, everything for your site should be in the docker container with it. It's like a "self contained app". You might have a "global" nginx or apache, that forwards however to the required container.

Hmm. OK. That makes it simpler to build then.

I just bought a Docker course on Udemy because they are having a sale on where every course is £10 so I bought a few to get some skills in this area.

Back
Top Bottom