Docking station

Associate
Hi all,

Happy 2024!

After much resistance in 2023, I'm now having to start taking my work laptop home, but I find it so frustrating working on the small screen. I have a gaming PC and two monitors, and would be able to have some kind of switch or docking station so I can utilise the monitors, but important for me to not lose the refresh rate (both monitors are 144 or 165).

Can anyone offer a suggestion on a solution/device?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all,

Happy 2024!

After much resistance in 2023, I'm now having to start taking my work laptop home, but I find it so frustrating working on the small screen. I have a gaming PC and two monitors, and would be able to have some kind of switch or docking station so I can utilise the monitors, but important for me to not lose the refresh rate (both monitors are 144 or 165).

Can anyone offer a suggestion on a solution/device?

Thanks
You could get something like a KVM switch.

Connect everything to this and then just press a button to switch between the laptop and desktop.

I work from home and use the following.

1 x HDMI cable to the laptop from the monitor.
1 x DP cable to the desktop to the monitor.
1 x USB switch - Connect keyboard and mouse to this.

What I do is when I want to work from my laptop I turn this on and the switch\Monitor detects whats on and works.

quite easy with 1 monitor but with 2 you would need something like a KVM switch

Last edited:
Associate
I use exactly the same setup as ED209 above and it works beautifully. Years ago (in the analogue and DVI interface days) I had a dedicated KVM switch, but in modern times switches that support displayport are expensive, and in general don't play well with G-sync or Freesync. Using the monitor input control with a USB switch is a cheaper and more flexible solution IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom