Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel

Soldato

Years following the events of "The Shining", a now-adult Dan Torrence meets a young girl with similar powers as his and tries to protect her from a cult known as The True Knot who prey on children with powers to remain immortal.

Not sure how I feel about this. Happy to give it a go on it's own merits but unsure it's a sequel that's going to go down well with the majority.

I've never been a huge "The Shining" fan, while I can appreciate it is a great piece of cinematic history, on a personal level, i've never really enjoyed it all too much. Has been quite some time since I watched it though, maybe over a decade, perhaps i'll give it another shot.

Associate
How coincidental, just started watching first episode of The Haunting Of Hill House and it's directed by Mike Flanagan.

He did, yes, and I thought that series was really very good also. It's not that faithful to the original book though.

It'll be interesting to see how much he's departed away from Doctor Sleep, the trailer seems to have all the elements from the book (not wanting to give spoilers away) but there were some notable differences. I'll need to re-read the book before release, but I was sure that the Overlook Hotel was no longer standing, might be wrong though it's been a while since I read it.

EDIT - ok this is interesting https://screencrush.com/the-shining-doctor-sleep-comparison/

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched this morning, surprising how cold a cinema screen gets when the heatings bust. It's look 2 and half hours but doesn't feel slow. Plenty of build up with the supernatural stuff for a 25 minute 'payoff' at the end tying The Shining easter egg stuff into it.

If it wasn't for the hotel and few easter eggs this could've easily been a film set somewhere else with different characters.

Soldato
I really liked this and didn't expect too

Strange in that it felt the ending was rushed even though it's a long film !

Permabanned
Quite enjoyed it personally, though it doesn't hold a candle to Flanagans better work.

Felt much the same about the film as I did the book. Pretty intriguing with some really neat ideas and characters but ultimately quite unnecessary. Very well Directed though and as adaptions go they trimmed and replaced everything quite tastefully.

Surprised they kept in the scene with the baseball boy... Amazed it didn't get an 18 rating from that alone as I always assumed certification surrounding violence towards a minor was pretty clear cut.

Associate
I enjoyed this movie, was not worth watching in the Cineworld superscreen (4K dolby Atmos) though, would have been just as good in normal screen. Save superscreen for the big budget special effect movies in the future I think.

Back
Top Bottom