Dodgy links appeared on WP site

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been checking backlinks and keywords on our work site and noticed about a week a go that MULBERRY BAG and other odd keywords have appeared on the site.

finally managed to find them at the bottom of the homepage:

http://www.viresourcing.co.uk/

Problem is, I have no idea how they got there or how to remove them, I've checked all the files from within wordpress but I can't see anything, and I don't have FTP/sql/server access :(

Any advice?

Soldato
OP
Well I've turned on Wordfence and deleted a user account I didn't recognise and despite the scan failing the urls have disappeared but webmaster tools are showing a load of urls on the site that I can't find in pages or posts:

/?2016-jun-6084.html
/?2016-jun-2548.html
/?2016-jun-6098.html
/?2016-jun-198.html
/?2016-jun-155.html
/?2016-jun-5449.html
/?2016-jun-6541.html

Problem is with the current setup I have no access to the database, FTP or any backend systems outside of what I can access from within Wordpress.

Having run iThemes Security I've increased what security I can through there.

Soldato
I had something similar - have a check in the header for any "includes" that aren't in your "safe" backup - I had a line that was including "logo.gif" - but when editing "logo.gif" it was actually full of PHP and JavaScript

Then, in the footer, I had a single extra line "wp_foots();" - which was what was then exercising this rogue PHP/JS.

Then, the usual recommendations and guides apply for securing your site after an exploit - change any administrative passwords, change FTP passwords, delete all the Wordpress files (excluding "wp-config.php" and the "wp-content" folder) and re-upload a fresh copy of all the files etc (basically, any steps suggested in any number of the "remove spam from Wordpress" guides you can find by Googling)

Man of Honour
There will be a rogue file being included which is intercepting URLs and showing its own junk. Check all the wordpress files in the root folder (wp-config, wp-settings, wp-includes etc) for anything suspicious.

Then search for keywords like gzinflate, eval, base64_decode and look for big blocks of nasty-looking junk :)

All this is kinda difficult without access to the files tho but maybe a plugin like Wordfence will help, or any plugin which will let you edit files.

Back
Top Bottom