Does a car being towed need insurance?

Permabanned
I was always under the impression that as with the TAX if any wheels are touching the ground in needed to be insured. A full lift or trailer are the only legal way to transport it.

If you are using an A-bar it is classed as trailer and thus doesn't need tax/insurance. But obviously your not going to be able to do that without modifying the car.

Man of Honour
an A-Bar I mean.

If its just a bar it can't be in the shape of an A, cos its a bar. You are thinking of an A frame - the A forms a framework.

Either way you are wrong:

An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal.

Permabanned
Well yeah you would have to have a way to apply the breaks without a person being in the car as well. Basically it's not practical at all.

A bar doesn't have to be just a bar, even though that is what the name implies.

Man of Honour
Well yeah you would have to have a way to apply the breaks without a person being in the car as well.

No, because then it would be a braked trailer which has various different construction and use regs pertaining to it, which it wouldn't meet, so this is completely wrong as well.

Basically it's not practical at all.

By 'not practical' you mean 'illegal and not possible'.

Why is everything you ever post the complete opposite of whats true :confused:

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;13647370 said:
No, because then it would be a braked trailer which has various different construction and use regs pertaining to it, which it wouldn't meet, so this is completely wrong as well.

By 'not practical' you mean 'illegal and not possible'.

Why is everything you ever post the complete opposite of whats true :confused:

It's not. I know using the A-bar/frame would make it classed as a trailer. That is the point, that is why you wouldn't need insurance/tax on it. Providing it wasn't too heavy for what your license allows you to tow it would be fine.

Man of Honour
It's not. I know using the A-bar/frame would make it classed as a trailer. That is the point, that is why you wouldn't need insurance/tax on it. Providing it wasn't too heavy for what your license allows you to tow it would be fine.

This is like talking to a brick wall.

You cannot tow using an A-frame. You can only recover a vehicle to a place of safety. It really is that simple - towing a car using an A frame is illegal. You are wrong, your advice is misleading and if somebody read it without realising you were wrong they could commit a traffic offence on the strength of your advice.

Please do not give legal advice on subjects you know nothing about.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;13647401 said:
This is like talking to a brick wall.

You cannot tow using an A-frame. You can only recover a vehicle to a place of safety. It really is that simple - towing a car using an A frame is illegal.

It's not if you basically convert the car into a trailer. Like I said though it isn't practical at all, I just said it as a random point. It doesn't really matter as the OP clearly is going to start welding an A frame to his car.

Man of Honour
It's not if you basically convert the car into a trailer.

You can't just 'basically convert a car into a trailer', what on earth are you talking about? Besides, it would be more than 750kg so over the unbraked trailer limit anyway, thus guess what, illegal, fancy that.

Like I said though it isn't practical at all, I just said it as a random point.

unbenanntyx2.png

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;13647424 said:
You can't just 'basically convert a car into a trailer', what on earth are you talking about? Besides, it would be more than 750kg so over the unbraked trailer limit anyway, thus guess what, illegal, fancy that.

[im]http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/5641/unbenanntyx2.png[/img]

Yeah I said it would be over the weight limit!

I didn't say it was basic, I just said that is basically what you are doing to get round the law.

I don't know why you are getting so het up about it. It's obvious that nobody is going to go welding an a frame onto there car.

oh come off it, i've seen quite a few threads in the past week where you have said some sillly things which just aren't true.

such as?

Back
Top Bottom