Does anyone bother updating their bios?

Man of Honour
Mixed - I don't generally for the sake of it - I will usually update to the latest if it isn't already on building the system then maybe do the same a year or two down the line when it is coming towards end of support. I'll check release notes now and again to see if there are any important security or quality fixes and/or useful new features.

Soldato
Normally it’s a matter of putting the bios onto a usb stick, going into the bios and selecting the update. It’ll flash it and then reboot. Once back into the bios put your settings back in or load them from a save.

Some bios’s allow you to do it from a specific USB port even when there’s no cpu in place (ie just have power connected) - you give it power, insert the usb stick and then press a bios flash button

Associate
I always do with a new PC build, although half the time its already up to date. If it goes wrong at this point you can just send it back.
I also do when I'm rebuilding old components to repurpose them. I don't really care at this point if it breaks or not, but never had one break.

Soldato
I deployed a BIOS update to all the HP workstations at work the other week. Was quite nerve wrecking to watch 100+ update at the same time. Solved a few niggling issues like the computers not waking up in the morning, inconsistent BIOS passwords etc. No failures.

On my own hardware, usually after the "honeymoon" period is over I never look at it again, unless changing CPU or there is a known issue that can be solved

Soldato
I deployed a BIOS update to all the HP workstations at work the other week. Was quite nerve wrecking to watch 100+ update at the same time. Solved a few niggling issues like the computers not waking up in the morning, inconsistent BIOS passwords etc. No failures.

On my own hardware, usually after the "honeymoon" period is over I never look at it again, unless changing CPU or there is a known issue that can be solved

So you updated 100 + computers in one go ? how does that work ?

I am on z390 and still getting bios updates in 2021 so just update to the latest one when they become available.

Soldato
So you updated 100 + computers in one go ? how does that work ?

I am on z390 and still getting bios updates in 2021 so just update to the latest one when they become available.

Set up one as intended, including auto update BIOS, run the HP BIOS Configuration Utility (HP BCU) and export a text file of the current config (and encrypted password file), package and deploy via SCCM/Endpoint Configuration Manager with a script action to run the .exe on the target machines/device collections

Soldato
Set up one as intended, including auto update BIOS, run the HP BIOS Configuration Utility (HP BCU) and export a text file of the current config (and encrypted password file), package and deploy via SCCM/Endpoint Configuration Manager with a script action to run the .exe on the target machines/device collections

I will pretend i actually understood all that thanks :cry::o

Soldato
Yes!

I really can't understand why people are so deathly afraid of doing it! Recently had the conversation with some friends and all I was hearing was "No don't it, you'll will brick your board and void the warranty"

:D :D :D

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes!

I really can't understand why people are so deathly afraid of doing it! Recently had the conversation with some friends and all I was hearing was "No don't it, you'll will brick your board and void the warranty"

:D :D :D

These be the same people and lecturers that I remember from 1999 - 2002 yelling to others to never load or enter the BIOS? :D

I remember back in college lecturers going crazy when I was installing Windows 98 booting the BIOS from the CD while everyone else was taught to use the floppy disk. Yet my install was ahead of everyone elses by a large margin because I quickly set the BIOS to boot from CD and back to HDD once it was ready. Which to me seemed pretty normal.

These would also be the same people not to buy Plasma or OLED TVs. BAD BAD BAD!

These would also be the same people that say watercooling PCs is BAD BAD BAD!

So many boards nowadays let you backup your current ROM to USB. So what's the issue? I only do it if there is something I need on it. I wont do it for the sake of a new revision number and release date. I don't see the point if there is nothing I need. Unless it was a very old BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom