Does anyone have a favourite airport?

Soldato
I've been to Manchester, and Gatwick in the UK.

I've been to a few in the US.

I liked Chicago Airport because of the shuttle system and I've had many hot pizzas there.

I've been to Manchester, and Gatwick in the UK.

I've been to a few in the US.

I liked Chicago Airport because of the shuttle system and I've had many hot pizzas there.
In UK - Stansted for domestic stuff, doesn't have the price or delays you get at LHR and has decent links from central London.

in the US - San Francisco - mostly because of the Virgin Atlantic lounge which is a great place to spend a couple of hours.

Most airports in the UK these days seems to be car parks with a runway attached.

Changi.

St Johns (Antigua). Roof terrace.

Malta for roof terrace only.

Madrid (Velasques lounge)

Funchal Madeira for the plane spotting.

UK Gatwick or Heathrow (using B gates lounge only, Galleries are zoos).

Summary, make sure you have lounge access.

Last edited:
Changi is nice, well, most of the best stuff is outside the airport, in the mall next door. The airport itself does have a free cinema and a butterfly garden and some fish ponds.

Tokyo Haneda is good too, Narita is not too bad.

I hear Istanbul is amazing.

But most of them are fine if you have lounge access, all shopping ignored, quiet place to chill until your flight. If you do that....they are all very forgettable lol Even JFK was fine.

Last edited:
I like a small airport with small security queues.

We live nearer to Manchester airport but I prefer flying out of Liverpool where possible, as parking is much easier and security tends to be way faster.

I enjoyed Pula airport in Croatia and Billund airport in Denmark, again because they were small and efficient.

Belfast city, London city, Dublin (US Immigration on site is a godsend but have seen 90 min queues) Leeds Bradford, Edinburgh and Stansted all decent local airports, Laguardia, Aberdeen, East Midlands, Luton (barring heavy refurbs a few years before lockdown), Colombo (we got an armed guard from the plane) never really had any bad experiences, security usually fine to get through quickly and cover basics ok.
Changi, Shanghai Pudong, Paris CDG, Indira Gandhi, Copenhagen were all enjoyable enough with no big negatives each have their quirks but mainly good to travel through.
Pune, Manchester, Belfast Int, Gatwick and Cleveland Hopkins all almost as bad as eachother for various reasons from understaffed, slow security, unjustifiably high food prices to absolute lack of hygiene and or insects.
JFK, Dubai, Boston Logan, Birmingham and Heathrow were all just slogs to the gates at times and were never much fun. The A380 top deck out of Dubai was a great experience though, not quite 1st class seats but staff, food and facilities were top notch.

Edit: isn't that just anawful wall of text.

Last edited:
I've not flown enough to have a favourite really, there are a few which are definitely not my favourite though :s

I've not exactly been to many
But I rate East Midlands based on recent experience; it's local to me and parking charges are a fair portion cheaper and better standard than many of the other UK airports.

Changi is nice, well, most of the best stuff is outside the airport, in the mall next door. The airport itself does have a free cinema and a butterfly garden and some fish ponds.

Tokyo Haneda is good too, Narita is not too bad.

Changi is great for an airport as you say.

The best thing about Narita airport is that you can take your luggage trolley onto the escalators. Was amazed when I discovered it

I liked Galway airport before it was closed. It was essentially a pub with a runaway attached to it. We were still having a pint 10 minutes before the flight took off. The facilities were charmingly basic: the departure boards were just the airport’s website on auto-refresh. :D

In terms of big airports, Ottawa’s is probably the least offensive. It’s nice and airy and makes good use of water features. All big airports are bland and a hassle though.

Last edited:
In UK - Stansted for domestic stuff, doesn't have the price or delays you get at LHR and has decent links from central London.

in the US - San Francisco - mostly because of the Virgin Atlantic lounge which is a great place to spend a couple of hours.

Most airports in the UK these days seems to be car parks with a runway attached.
The big problem with the VA Lounge in SFO is that it’s on the wrong side of security as dealing with TSA goons after enjoying too many champagne cocktails can be fraught.

I really liked London City for short haul European flights. 20 minute cab ride from my house and no faffing about. Check in, pass security, get a coffee and on your plane within the hour.

Arriving into Singapore Airport is like stepping into a a Sci-Fi film where the future isn’t crap.

The big problem with the VA Lounge in SFO is that it’s on the wrong side of security as dealing with TSA goons after enjoying too many champagne cocktails can be fraught.

I really liked London City for short haul European flights. 20 minute cab ride from my house and no faffing about. Check in, pass security, get a coffee and on your plane within the hour.

Arriving into Singapore Airport is like stepping into a a Sci-Fi film where the future isn’t crap.

I need to step back into Singapore post covid because my experience was vastly different to most people. Straight to a PCR test, straight into taxi to hotel, and cannot leave the room until test results comes back negative which emailed to front desk before I was allowed to venture out lol

Back
Top Bottom