Does thermal compound go off?

Associate
I've got a tube of Gelid GC Extreme that must be about 5 years old, and another of Akasa AK456 of similar vintage.

I need to reseat a CPU cooler - will the Gelid work just fine, or should I get a new tube? It's still got the original consistency (I squeezed some out to check it hadn't set solid).

Soldato
I've got a tube of Gelid GC Extreme that must be about 5 years old, and another of Akasa AK456 of similar vintage.

I need to reseat a CPU cooler - will the Gelid work just fine, or should I get a new tube? It's still got the original consistency (I squeezed some out to check it hadn't set solid).
mine is from 8 years ago, still as sticky as it was the day i bought it and works equally well. got some MX4 from 10+ yrs ago, and it was still as good as fresh.

Soldato
There's a difference between use and store though. Store in a cool dry place would be fine for many years.
While keeping that tube sitting on desk next to windows with sun shining on it daily would probably make paste go bad clearly before claimed shelf life.

Soldato
While keeping that tube sitting on desk next to windows with sun shining on it daily would probably make paste go bad clearly before claimed shelf life.
Very doubtful it will degrade through UV cos a) the sun ray will need to pass through glass which already filter out most of UV b) the tube itself is not transparent so unlikely any light will get through to the paste itself either.

mine has sat in my box for 8 years and the mx4 is 10+ years. Still all gunky and sticky as before. Worked perfectly fine on my 1600AF which I ran tests to 130w.

Associate

I know this is a fairly old post, but I'm wondering whether to use a 3 year old tube of Gelid GC Extreme (never been opened), just wondered if you tried yours and whether it was ok?

Soldato
I know this is a fairly old post, but I'm wondering whether to use a 3 year old tube of Gelid GC Extreme (never been opened), just wondered if you tried yours and whether it was ok?
Open it and squirt it into your mouth like cream and find out if you end up in A&E or not

Soldato
What was that paste that was given away on these forum as samples? Diamond or something like that.

Had a tube of each in my draw. They both went off after a few years. Was like dried toothpaste

Ic diamond 24 carrot and the 7 carrot. Both in the bin after a few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
IC Dimond was like toothpaste. I got a tube of OcUK years ago and called up to complain. I was told it supposed to be like that and let it site on a radiator for 2 mins

TBF it lasted a year or too before I changed my phenom 2 out

Associate
I had some Thermal Grizzly paste (might have been Kryonaut) go off. It had been opened before and it basically turned into putty.

Back
Top Bottom