Does this damage quote look accurate?

Associate
The short story:

Hired a car 3 months ago, didn't get £0 excess, backed it into a post, was honest about it on check-in.

Got a bill yesterday for £1015 and a breakdown of the costs. Of course I understand that these kind of parts car be expensive but if anyone has had similar work done for a lot cheaper let me know! Edit: quote to me is slightly different because apparently they don't charge me VAT but do charge an admin fee.

car1.png
car2.png
car3.png

Associate
OP
Indeed, it's an expensive lesson to learn.

I often opt for the £0 excess extra but decided not to this time as it was a longer rent period. Hindsight can be a wicked thing (£125 extra spent to prevent a £1k bill).

Thanks again for advice.

Associate
OP
Isn't there normally an excess with these things anyway. When I've hired cars the excess is normally £400-500 with the option to pay extra to have it reduced?

Standard excess is £1500 for this company.

Pay a bit more per day to reduce, a bit more for £0.

I've just settled the damage after managing to get the end cost down to £800.

Associate
OP
That's not so bad in the end although for next time you can get excess insurance from a third party for basically pennies rather than paying the hire companies 0 excess fees.

You can, do you have an example company? Is it like travel insurance cover?

With all this, I have thought many times I could just buy my own cheapish secondhand car and worry less about it but over the time period, and living in central London, the cost would be a lot higher for something I don't need.

Back
Top Bottom