• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does Zen3 make the 8700k/8086k/9700k redundant or is high quality processing hardware now just affor

Soldato
Does Zen3 make the 8700k/8086k/9700k redundant or is high quality processing hardware now just affordable? I'm thinking of buying an 8700k rig second hand for around 1-1.4k. The only issue in my mind is now Zen 3 is here, is going down this road kind of a meh path compared to just building a new rig with a a 3700x or something.

Soldato
OP
I have an 8700k today which can handle everything with ease, when the new AMD chips are released I'll have an 8700k that can handle everything with ease.

So no it won't be redundant but there may be better chips on the market for less money.

Hope that answers your question :)

On a more serious note, Intel will have to answer back with better chips at lower prices. The winner in this competition will hopefully be us because both AMD and Intel are huge companies with far more money than we'll ever see. Let's not fall in love with either!

But that sounds a lot for a used system unless it has a 2080ti or suchlike in there?

Sorry I meant redundant in regards to a new purchase.

Yes, it does sound like a lot of money and I've decided against it. I think it had a 1080ti inside of it but its not really worth it for second hand, especially as I claim this as a business expense.

Soldato
OP
Redundant? As in ‘not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous’? If that were the case then why do so many people keep the same CPU’s for years? The 9 series CPU’s won’t suddenly stop working just because something new is out. They just won’t be the best in their price range any more and hopefully their revised prices will reflect that.

Redundant as a current day purchase

Back
Top Bottom