Dolby Atmos For Headphones

Associate
Just bought this with the new windows update.

I was using a GSX1000 which has superb and slightly better simulated surround but I send it back due to weak amp. They are pretty close although I can't compare side by side. What I do prefer though is running my AKG712 with a decent amp and DAFH is superb in BF1. Elevation is done very well.

There's also Window Sonic for Headphones which is free and actually pretty decent but after some side by side Atmos is better for positional cues.

You can get DAFH for a day trail to test it out. Download Dolby Access through the store and go from there. Think this solution could be just the ticket for some that already have their preferred headphone and amp.

Just a heads up, defo worth trying the trial.

*Have since bought the GSX again. For its better positioning. This is still a good choice though.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol what. Headphones are stereo. If you want Atmos you'll need a full 9.1 or 11.1 speaker system.
Simulated surround sound from two speakers is poop, it's just doing some wonky phase processing or whatever.

Man of Honour
I guess it depends what you are looking for from surround audio and often one type of HRTF system will work better for some people than others depending on how you percieve sound - listening to videos with the gsx and dolby atmos I thought the gsx quite a bit better for gaming, atmos wasn't bad but individual sources didn't seem to stand out as well.

Soldato
HRTF works differently based on the shape of your head, that of your outer ears and their position, which is why it needs modelling for every individual to get an optimum result. This is why the Smyth Realizer works so well, they create an individual HRTF model using a 16 speaker setup (which includes ATMOS) which is then used by the Realizer ($2k ish) to create a binaural stream through headphones which is almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Without going through this process you will get a generic approximation, which will obviously work better for those whose physical stats fall closest to the generic model, while for the majority of people the result will not be as good and for those whose stats fall furthest from the approximation it will be absolute rubbish.

Soldato
lol what. Headphones are stereo. If you want Atmos you'll need a full 9.1 or 11.1 speaker system.
Simulated surround sound from two speakers is poop, it's just doing some wonky phase processing or whatever.

Well colour me surprised, a purist doesn't like simulated surround sound. :p

Associate
OP
I'll trial it, how much is it to buy?
It's around £13. Just give it a trial first though. I always liked Dolby headphone for positioning but never liked the reverb effect. This is a big step up and certainly the best for stand alone software so far that I've used. Thread was more to give people a heads up to try though rather then convince others It's the best for them. Use what works and makes you happy

Last edited:
Soldato
What's gaming got to do with it? Surround sound in games or movies, with dedicated speakers will trump fake surround headphones and gimmicky DSP mode ain't going to do much when you just have headphones.

Man of Honour
What's gaming got to do with it? Surround sound in games or movies, with dedicated speakers will trump fake surround headphones and gimmicky DSP mode ain't going to do much when you just have headphones.

As per my post above I take it you don't do any kind of half serious FPS gaming :p or you'd know what I'm talking about.

And case in point OP is mostly talking about surround audio in gaming.

Soldato
Keep in mind here the GSX works best when a game or Movie is outputting native 5.1 / 7.1 channel the GSX then takes that and creates its own Virtual Surround sound.. This Video sample is "Stereo ONLY" so the GSX is taking a two channel stream and creating a virtual surround sound. Even though this isn't the recommended way of using the GSX I firmly believe it's done an excellent job here even beating the Dolby Atmos Headphone.

Associate
OP
Great work Shankly. The GSX sounds great in that vid. Perhaps a little too wide but the direction is so clear. I'm kind of getting use to the dolby atmos now so my ears are tuned in to it and I think I may prefer it. Weirdly I wasn't impressed with the GSX in bf3 but atmos sounds excellent now, where as BF1 I though GSX had the edge. Kind I wish I had both to side by side compare now. Good work dude really handy for reference. Its really great to have a software solution that is decent though. I tried using Razers for a while and just thought it was lame.

Soldato
Great work Shankly. The GSX sounds great in that vid. Perhaps a little too wide but the direction is so clear. I'm kind of getting use to the dolby atmos now so my ears are tuned in to it and I think I may prefer it. Weirdly I wasn't impressed with the GSX in bf3 but atmos sounds excellent now, where as BF1 I though GSX had the edge. Kind I wish I had both to side by side compare now. Good work dude really handy for reference. Its really great to have a software solution that is decent though. I tried using Razers for a while and just thought it was lame.

Gladly to help out :D
Yeah sadly Atmos isn't going to be free think it cost £18 after trail runs out.

Associate
OP
Will it work with a USB DAC and in BF1 though? Pretty much would be the only thing I would likely use it for.
Yeah that's what i've been using it with today. Aune X1S paired with HD600 today. Superb!

Shankly I bought it after testing for an hour I think it was £13.86 or some weird price like that. Defo £13 though.

Back
Top Bottom