Domain purchase advice

Hmmm, I thought it was pretty much :confused: but long term if I did change domain name I might have a good number of people following me changing it may cause a lot of confusion.

Iam not sure tho I could be wrong, you probably understand this subject more than me! Thanks again

You could have both pointing to the same site for a while, with a notice explaining the domain name change, and then 2 or 3 months later (or whenever it expires) drop the one you no longer want.... Or just keep both them forever, It's not exactly a huge expense :p

Who will be hosting the website?

If you are buying a .com get it through namecheap.com far better interface than 123-reg I use both and honestly, namecheap rules over 123-reg and there is no need to keep clicking and unchecking 'no thank you' boxes.

As for domain name IMHO you MUST include photography in there somewhere, treat the domain name like you would your shop front, if you had a bricks and mortar business would you not tell the public that inside you would find a business related to photography?

How many times have you followed a sign written van that doesn't have the trade on it? XYZ Painters and Decorators, Plumbers, Bakers etc. etc. etc.

Why would you want your domains all over the place? And those two registrars are not the ones I would go for. Would more than likely be cheaper to get your hosting and domain from the same place as they often come bundled from a reputable place such as Vidahost. If you don't need the hosting then I'd still steer clear of godaddy as a registrar.

If you are buying a .com get it through namecheap.com far better interface than 123-reg I use both and honestly, namecheap rules over 123-reg and there is no need to keep clicking and unchecking 'no thank you' boxes.

As for domain name IMHO you MUST include photography in there somewhere, treat the domain name like you would your shop front, if you had a bricks and mortar business would you not tell the public that inside you would find a business related to photography?

How many times have you followed a sign written van that doesn't have the trade on it? XYZ Painters and Decorators, Plumbers, Bakers etc. etc. etc.

Decided on like you suggested to include photography/photos/images something along those lines in the URL I see your points :)

Why would you want your domains all over the place? And those two registrars are not the ones I would go for. Would more than likely be cheaper to get your hosting and domain from the same place as they often come bundled from a reputable place such as Vidahost. If you don't need the hosting then I'd still steer clear of godaddy as a registrar.

Need the URL and hosting probably going with TSOHosting

Right still not sorted a domain name...narrowed it down too

photojameswhite.com
PhotographyJamesWhite.com
jameswhitephotos.com
jameswhitephotograph.com

Thoughts? Think iam going to go with photojameswhite.com

Vida or TSO, you can't go wrong with either.

Yay, finally bought jameswhitephotos.com now what :o

Been looking at both Vida and TSO, similar basic packages TSO slight cheaper. Can someone tell me what package would suit me the best? Would I get away with the cheapest?

Disk Space - The amount of space provided to store your website files and e-mail. 0.5GB Does this mean I would get 500MB a month to upload?

That means you have 500mb of space on the server in total. Your website including all images and media cannot be larger than 500mb on that package.

That means you have 500mb of space on the server in total. Your website including all images and media cannot be larger than 500mb on that package.

Hmmm, well considering each photo I would upload is around 1MB that is pretty small. But I guess thats about 500 photos per year which is quite a lot really.

Can you change your web hosting packages during the year?

Hmmm, well considering each photo I would upload is around 1MB that is pretty small. But I guess thats about 500 photos per year which is quite a lot really.

Can you change your web hosting packages during the year?

With Vidahost, you can get the 2gb package for just a few quid more than the 500mb starter package if you use their starter code and go for the three years for the price of two.

500mb = £17 x 3 = £51
2gb = £29 x 2 - 10% = £52.20

If my maths is right... And you get a lot more stuff on the 2gb package.

New starter voucher code = VIDA10PERCENT

Last edited:
With Vidahost, you can get the 2gb package for just a few quid more than the 500mb starter package if you use their starter code and go for the three years for the price of two.

500mb = £17 x 3 = £51
2gb = £29 x 2 - 10% = £52.20

If my maths is right... And you get a lot more stuff on the 2gb package.

New starter voucher code = VIDA10PERCENT

Its actually £62.64 (inc. VAT) but yeah seems the best deal. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom