Domain Q: Expired & Trademarks

Soldato
Hi folks. I'm interested in a new domain, which for the sake of this example is starbucksoffers.co.uk.

The .co.uk was registered since 2006 by a private domain-squatting UK company. It expired on 19 Dec 2012 and its WHOIS status is "Renewal required. *** *** This registration has been SUSPENDED. ***"

The .com domain has been registered since 1997 and is owned by Starbucks (in this example). It redirects to Starbucks main page rather than being directly related to the domain (ie offers).

1) How long after the expiry of the .co.uk domain will it be available for purchase, if ever?

2) I've had problems with trademarks in domains before, but my issue before was the domain insinuated my products were made by the trademarked company. Where would I stand on something like starbucksoffers? It's been owned by a domain squatting company for 6 years which seems like a long time for 'Starbucks' not to have stepped in before if that is the reason for it expiring. And if they have stepped in they would have requested a transfer surely rather than letting it expire. The company in question is BIG and I'd have thought would have snapped up every plausible domain with their name in it by now.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well in this example I would be listing Starbucks offers and voucher codes in a similar fashion to MSE, HUKD etc, just more specific.

The option I get with Vidahost when looking up the expired domain is "Transfer Only (No Renewal) - £0.00)"

For a .uk domain, it should be 90 days after the initial expiry date that it will drop and become available to register. If the domain might be valuable, you could try using a drop catching service who will attempt the register the domain for you the millisecond it expires for a small fee on success.

Dammit, I'm away on holiday skiing when the 90 days comes around. Seems like www.caught.co.uk charges £30 for the drop service. I know it's not a lot but the domain isn't a necessity and it could well be infringing their trademark.

If the catch doesn't work (ie someone else is also using a similar service), is the charge refunded? Edit: Answered my own question, you pay for a credit so no refund if it isn't caught with them.

Just checked a few variations and starbucksdeals.co.uk is available whilst starbucksoffers.com is owned by the company again. Could just go for the deals and snap the offers up manually if it doesn't get sniped. I can't imagine it will seeing as it's been left to expire by a domain holding company and the deals variation is available.

Question now is regarding it containing a trademark!

Back
Top Bottom