DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
@MiSJAH oh you :p

The trade-in program has been open for over a year now, we have been known to follow and post in the threads occasionally. There will never be a uniform cost for everyone as you suggest, this is simply not the way the trade-in program works, or was ever intended to work - it would end up being unfair and expensive for some and would limit model choice for others. Some customers wanted to pay extra to trade up to a top spec GT83, whereas others have paid as little as £50 for their chosen new model. At its core, a trade-in is where you trade in an item and get a value for that item, it is never the same for everyone as they are not the same items, and we have been clear on this from the beginning in all emails regarding the trade-in program. It is not an MXM upgrade and is not costed as such - MXM upgrades would not have included significant CPU/RAM/SSD/display/chassis upgrades, or a brand new 2-3 year warranty. Fundamentally, there is no benchmark for MXM costings as MXM upgrades have never been done in the UK, you and I can only speculate on what it would have cost.

The trade-in program is not about profit, quite the opposite, but we do have a set amount we can value each model at within the launch SRP. If a customer is asking for a further discount, this is something I will have to make a case for to my bosses, as I mentioned to you in my last email yesterday, and I will always do this if the request is reasonable.

We do not want our customers to be unhappy, you have put your trust in us by spending a lot of your hard earned money on our product and we appreciate that and value you as customers, so if a resolution is reachable we will always try to get there as amicably as possible. It is very unfortunate that NVIDIA's changes made MXM upgrades unsuitable, this is not something we can change but we are trying to offer the best possible solution given the circumstances. Many customers have received good deals on their upgrades and are now happy - I see no reason why you cannot be one of them.

I'm utterly bemused now -

1. MXM upgrades were advertised extensively - a key decision in purchase
2. MXM upgrades couldn't be done so a trade in program was advertised promising trade-in's at a comparable cost to MXM upgrades

Both of these points are in this thread and discussed extensively, I don't think this can be denied?

Yet, both in this thread and our email exchange an MXM upgrade was discussed, a theoretical cost agreed upon and then clearly stated that I would not be offered this equivalent cost in the trade-in program - why not when this clearly stated in marketing statements, websites etc.?

I'm sorry you are in this very unenviable position and you have to make sure the interests of MSI are taken care of, but I can't agree with you one iota. I also understand if you wish keep further communications off a public forum, which might be advisable since legal action maybe taken.

Associate
I would contact Overclockers again, I think you have a case under section 75a as outlined by the Financial Ombudsman, when purchasing via credit.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org....goods-and-services-bought-with-credit.html#1b

• A misrepresentation is an incorrect statement of fact that causes the consumer to go ahead with the contract.
    For example, there is misrepresentation if the supplier persuades a consumer to buy an expensive piece of software - by telling him wrongly that it will be compatible with his existing PC operating system.
Or telling the consumer that the gfx card is upgradable but actually isn't.
Thanks, i'll have a go at contacting them too.

Associate
OP

The trade-in program has been open for over a year now, we have been known to follow and post in the threads occasionally. There will never be a uniform cost for everyone as you suggest, this is simply not the way the trade-in program works, or was ever intended to work - it would end up being unfair and expensive for some and would limit model choice for others. Some customers wanted to pay extra to trade up to a top spec GT83, whereas others have paid as little as £50 for their chosen new model. At its core, a trade-in is where you trade in an item and get a value for that item

Except that is not what MSI UK Notebook said the Trade-in, Upgrade Program was....
UK Pascal Trade-Upgrade Program said:
This upgrade will allow users to enjoy the latest MSI features, such as Cooler Boost and Dragon Center, and is available at costs comparable to previous MXM upgrades.

As I have asked numerous times, which specific previous MXM upgrades are the costs comparable to?

Associate
Except that is not what MSI UK Notebook said the Trade-in, Upgrade Program was....

As I have asked numerous times, which specific previous MXM upgrades are the costs comparable to?

According to my communications 960 -> 1060 it was agreed an MXM upgrade would be £425 plus labour. Based on new MXM gpu and what 2nd 960MXM's have recently sold for on the bay. So far MSI have steadfastly refused an upgrade based on that comparable price. This will form the basis of my claim in the small claims court.

Associate
OP
According to my communications 960 -> 1060 it was agreed an MXM upgrade would be £425 plus labour. Based on new MXM gpu and what 2nd 960MXM's have recently sold for on the bay. So far MSI have steadfastly refused an upgrade based on that comparable price. This will form the basis of my claim in the small claims court.

That's more than I paid to upgrade from GTX 980M to GTX 1080. The entire trade-in, upgrade is a scam.

I wonder if we could get MSI around a table and ask them to justify all of this to us, their customers?

@Loki @natarie How would you like to host your customers and discuss this face to face with the objective of finding resolution. The program is simple demonstrating a lack of consistency in offers.

Let's meet up and fix this.

Associate
I pretty much gave up on this a few weeks ago. Last week i gave the go ahead to put my name on a GT73VR Titan Pro-866 model (i don't know what the UK spec one is called). I then contacted HID (retailer) to sort out what happens with the RAM, as part of the upgrade was that i get to keep anything that is better in my current machine and put it into the new one. I was then told that there was no way i could do this as the GT73 uses DDR4 RAM, whereas my GT72 uses DDR3. I have emailed MSI US and have not heard a peep since.
HID have actually not been that bad, i have spoken to someone high up the chain directly via phone (he phoned me, USA to UK), but MSI, both UK and US are just shocking to deal with.
I have been told 'MSI US is a huge company so comms can take a while' but then also 'MSI UK is a small team' but i'm having an even worse time with them! you would think they would have a team dedicated to sorting this utter s*** show out, not just knocking random figures out.
I have also confirmed that laptops are graded as they are NOW and not upon purchase. Original purchase price is NOT taken into consideration, only the original RRP price from MSI's list, minus it's age. So in my case, i paid extra for upgraded storage/RAM etc, which now means nothing and anyone who bought a 'B' grade machine (@MiSJAH :) ) will pretty much be quids in, as they would have pretty much the same value as my machine. This also means that if i/we wait for Volta, our machines are worth less asnd trade in costs would go up even more.

Associate
Got a reply this evening. I am supposed to take the RAM out and I can 'keep it to put in another machine or sell it'. Great, thanks a lot.

And all because MSI couldn't get their MXM upgrade promise, honestly they should leave you no worse off that an MXM upgrade. That's what they promised after they binned the MXM upgrades and offered the trade-in's at, and I do quote, "A comparable costs to a MXM upgrade".

That's more than I paid to upgrade from GTX 980M to GTX 1080. The entire trade-in, upgrade is a scam.

I wonder if we could get MSI around a table and ask them to justify all of this to us, their customers?

@Loki @natarie How would you like to host your customers and discuss this face to face with the objective of finding resolution. The program is simple demonstrating a lack of consistency in offers.

Let's meet up and fix this.

*TUMBLE WEED*

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath about that. It's been over a month since I heard anything from Loki, I wasn't expecting much tbf, as he reached out to me, but if he hadn't I may have had this sorted before now, rather than stringing me along only to not reply again. Oh well. Anyone want to buy a GT73VR Titan Pro 866? Lol

Caporegime
Loki has almost certainly been banned from saying anything by his superiors, and it's likely that MSI have now by this point just accepted the bad publicity it is generating and are hoping it will quietly go away.

Either way, we all need to make it our duty to never recommend MSI to any friend or family member, and to dissuade people from buying them on all forums we are a member of. The people in this thread (and the others on other forums) could literally cost them hundreds of thousands of pounds. IT geeks have long memories, and when a company screws people over people tend to band together. I haven't been affected by this but I am still appalled as an observer.

Associate
I frequent the HotDealsUK website and whenever an MSI deal pops up i normally vent my displeasure. The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth for good with MSI. Never having owned an MSI product than i know of up until i bought this laptop, i certainly will not be buying anything else after this! The sleepless nights and making me unwell, i'm just glad it's coming to an end for me.

Associate
OP
I frequent the HotDealsUK website and whenever an MSI deal pops up i normally vent my displeasure. The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth for good with MSI. Never having owned an MSI product than i know of up until i bought this laptop, i certainly will not be buying anything else after this! The sleepless nights and making me unwell, i'm just glad it's coming to an end for me.

Same here. Not solely on one specific website either. AS OFTEN AS I POSSIBLE CAN.

This is why I want MSI to get around a table with us.

We could always pop along to their office in Altrincham as a group?

Associate

The trade-in program has been open for over a year now, we have been known to follow and post in the threads occasionally. There will never be a uniform cost for everyone as you suggest, this is simply not the way the trade-in program works, or was ever intended to work - it would end up being unfair and expensive for some and would limit model choice for others. Some customers wanted to pay extra to trade up to a top spec GT83, whereas others have paid as little as £50 for their chosen new model. At its core, a trade-in is where you trade in an item and get a value for that item, it is never the same for everyone as they are not the same items, and we have been clear on this from the beginning in all emails regarding the trade-in program. It is not an MXM upgrade and is not costed as such - MXM upgrades would not have included significant CPU/RAM/SSD/display/chassis upgrades, or a brand new 2-3 year warranty. Fundamentally, there is no benchmark for MXM costings as MXM upgrades have never been done in the UK, you and I can only speculate on what it would have cost.

The trade-in program is not about profit, quite the opposite, but we do have a set amount we can value each model at within the launch SRP. If a customer is asking for a further discount, this is something I will have to make a case for to my bosses, as I mentioned to you in my last email yesterday, and I will always do this if the request is reasonable.

We do not want our customers to be unhappy, you have put your trust in us by spending a lot of your hard earned money on our product and we appreciate that and value you as customers, so if a resolution is reachable we will always try to get there as amicably as possible. It is very unfortunate that NVIDIA's changes made MXM upgrades unsuitable, this is not something we can change but we are trying to offer the best possible solution given the circumstances. Many customers have received good deals on their upgrades and are now happy - I see no reason why you cannot be one of them.

Sorry to hear that - if you change your mind and would like to upgrade, drop me an email and we can work through it whenever you get time. Admittedly we are not the fastest at responding to MXM emails as there are many internal points of contact for each stage, but laptop inspections seem to be taking less than a week at the moment, so you wouldn't be too long without it (I assume you take your laptop into hospital with you?) it's your decision, but we are flexible and happy to do this in a way that suits you if you like :)

oh come off it @natarie

You have been helpful, you wanted to help, you wanted to do the right think. Let's get one thing clear MSI DIDN'T - they had to be dragged kicking and screaming.

Also another thing, yes many of us took deals knowing it was best we were going to get, not that we were truly happy with it. Many of us also stated we would never purchase an MSI product again - that is not a happy customer or is MSI deluded?

I'm sorry but if some guy in his basement can rig up a 10 series with no issues, no temps and a stable system WHY Couldn't MSI do it with millions available in research and development and qualified engineers etc?

also one more thing - why is this website (http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,344,0)MSI_GT72) offering a 1070 card for my GT72 that couldn't be upgraded with a heatsink upgrade? For £611? I paid about £550, but upgrading to a 1080 instead... however if I purchased from them I could have sold my old card for around £250-300 at the time, resulting in MXM upgrade cost of 300quid ish? Now if that isn't proof enough for you idiots, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS.

Sort your **** MSI, sort it out...

Soldato
oh come off it @natarie
also one more thing - why is this website (http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,344,0)MSI_GT72) offering a 1070 card for my GT72 that couldn't be upgraded with a heatsink upgrade? For £611? I paid about £550, but upgrading to a 1080 instead... however if I purchased from them I could have sold my old card for around £250-300 at the time, resulting in MXM upgrade cost of 300quid ish? Now if that isn't proof enough for you idiots, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS...

Just to interject a little. Take information from Eurocom with a pinch of salt. I have had a lot of dealings with them on a business level and they can often get specs and compatibility mixed up. As far as I can recall there is no MXM3.0 version of the 1060/1070/1080 as they require the additional space for the VRMs for the power and connector that normal MXM format doesn't have this is MXM3.0b. Also as far as I can recall there is also no way to supply additional power to the GPU in those chassis without hacking.

MSI should have approached Foxxcon to produce a MXM3.0 format 10xx series GPU that was along the same lines as the 980M cards then they wouldn't have had the issue and they could have sold them at whatever price they wanted and their original upgrade would have been correct.

Associate
OP
Just to interject a little. Take information from Eurocom with a pinch of salt. I have had a lot of dealings with them on a business level and they can often get specs and compatibility mixed up. As far as I can recall there is no MXM3.0 version of the 1060/1070/1080 as they require the additional space for the VRMs for the power and connector that normal MXM format doesn't have this is MXM3.0b.

N17E-G2 Pascal (GTX1070) is MXM 3.0B just like the GPU is the new GT72VR.

Back
Top Bottom