Don't Look Up (2021)

Associate
Thought it was entertaining enough. I mean it was possibly put together with not much effort, and was made in many ways to appease the masses, but brings up some very important issues that should be spoken of more and openly, rather than people just uttering the words 'conspiracy' or 'negative', rather than understanding the pertinence and duality of the term 'critical'.

I mean, Britain was built and maintains a particularly rigid class based system. That should be enough to get people talking about issues pertaining to equity.

Man of Honour
So intrigued by all the negativity on this lol...
Deffo try and watch it over new years.

It's basically a disaster movie where nobody wants to listen to them mimicking climate change and Covid.
You've got those members who have only put up with it for 15 minutes because somebody said 'Nucular' or those who expected Oscar winning performances :)
Me I sat back and compared it to Trump and all the tin foil hatters.

Last edited:
Soldato
What an awful load of rubbish.

It's like the writer is a southpark fan but isn't himself funny, it seems like a 2 and half hour SNL skit but with a very strange agenda.

Zero stars.

Soldato
It's a p take of Trump and conspiracy theorists

Yet the female president is a Clinton-clone (photo on her desk of Bill hugging her) so it's not specifically "partisan" i.e. just about Trump, but more about ALL of politicians, ALL of celeb culture, ALL social media usage etc irrespective of Left/Right. Well thats how I took it anyway - a shot at everyone not just "Trump".

It's basically a disaster movie where nobody wants to listen to them mimicking climate change and Covid.

I think that was the issue for many viewers, with the audience getting just as frustrated as characters when they get ignored, and a frustrated audience just isn't a good audience when it comes to giving their opinions, hence lots of negative reviews with lots of very negative thoughts, caused by being annoyed/frustrated for 90+ mins without any cathartic moment to make it worth while.

Man of Honour
Yet the female president is a Clinton-clone (photo on her desk of Bill hugging her) so it's not specifically "partisan" i.e. just about Trump, but more about ALL of politicians, ALL of celeb culture, ALL social media usage etc irrespective of Left/Right. Well thats how I took it anyway - a shot at everyone not just "Trump".

Yes you are correct, I don't know why I said just Trump, all Politicians are as bad as each other.

Soldato

I think that was the issue for many viewers, with the audience getting just as frustrated as characters when they get ignored, and a frustrated audience just isn't a good audience when it comes to giving their opinions, hence lots of negative reviews with lots of very negative thoughts, caused by being annoyed/frustrated for 90+ mins without any cathartic moment to make it worth while.
A bit like real life then. I think it was meant to be a frustrating movie to watch, I think a lot of people resonate with what is happening and the other people are the ones that this film is about. I was getting more and more annoyed and frustrated at the film (not the quality of the film but how it portrayed people) because it is so true to life. Nothing we can do to change the way its going.

Man of Honour
It was the pacing of serious/comedy elements which turned me off it - I get the satire and what it was trying to portray - but one moment it was kind of winding into SNL skit territory the next getting bogged down in more serious territory while retreading a lot of ground - one or the other could have worked but it just didn't come together in an interesting way for me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I echo the poor reviews on here. Really struggled to get into it and despite it being a satire it just felt a bit stupid and OTT at times.
Glad I am not the only one who thinks this. When I mentioned it the reply I got was, yeah but it is satire. Satire does not mean it has to be cheesy, OTT and stupid! :D

Soldato
Glad I am not the only one who thinks this. When I mentioned it the reply I got was, yeah but it is satire. Satire does not mean it has to be cheesy, OTT and stupid! :D
It's what passes for entertainment nowadays, if you're a dope smoker it's probably the best thing you've seen in your life.

Back
Top Bottom