• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Eternal Raytracing Benchmark Thread

Soldato
Hey, been looking at Doom Eternal more lately and I've been thinking about how interesting the performance of the game can be especially if we let the raytracing stretch its legs, in particular allowing everything to have a reflective value. So let's check it out!

Software Required:
Getting Cheat Engine going:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Ipo9km6xU

required cheat table version (not the one in the above video's description box as that one is outdated): https://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?p=183343#p183343

Settings:
  • Ultra Nightmare, fullscreen, present from compute on, field of view 120, no sharpening/chromatic aberration/film grain, no HDR, no motion blur, vsync off, frame limiter(s) off, resolution scaling mode off, depth of field (+ its anti-aliasing) on
  • You can also test with DLSS, just let it be known that you did so and which preset it was.
  • Cheat commands:
  1. r_SSRMinSmoothness 0
  2. r_RaytracingTextureLodBias -5
  • I recommend adding the cheat commands only before you start the capframex recording and not messing up with any settings afterwards before recording because the cheat settings are prone to reset in that case.
  • For Capframex the important things we need to see are Average fps, P5, P1. Ideally just screenshot the run from the 'Analysis' tab like I show in the screenshot section below.
  • If you don't add your system specs to Capframex then please mention them in your post (CPU, RAM, GPU, Storage) and what the overclock is (if any). For storage in Capframex add it in the 'Comment' section (bottom left-hand side, below the sessions recorded).
  • The save game resumes from the area the benchmark would end, so you can maintain one of the save game profiles purely for benchmarking if you wish.

Benchmark path
(note you have to clear the areas shown first and then walk back to the tram unit, but this is close to the beginning of the first level and doesn't take long to get to):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WSHMbtwf_aTeGVjF4jvIlsRDZq110Kqi/view

Example screenshot of recorded run:
https://i.imgur.com/NwxyWBQ.png

Benchmark guide once everything's installed and you've cleared the sections in question:
- Get into the starting position from where the video starts
- Bring up the console (usually with ~ key) and enter each of the commands once
- Press your Capframex recording hotkey and follow the path from the video
- Once you're back at the elevator shaft press the Capframex recording hotkey to end the session
- Go to the Capframex 'Analysis' tab and double-click the session (left-hand side, "Observed directory")
- Take a screenshot and upload it to your favourite image hosting website (imgur, flickr etc), and then share a link.

I will aggregate all the results into a google docs spreadsheet so it's all nice and neat.

[TBD Results Link Goes Here]

Soldato
OP
Pff, far too complicated. :cry:
It's not too bad. Cheat Engine is as simple to install as any basic program, and same for capframex. Then when you're in-game you just have to alt-tab back to CE, scan for Doom E & click "load cheat table", tick a box and you're done.

All due respect but shouldn't we benchmark a game from its default presets?

Asking people to install cheat engine is abit too far tbh
The default presets are useless and uninteresting by comparison as the internet is already full of performance results like that.

Man of Honour
What is the status with Cheat Engine - awhile back just having it loaded could get your game account suspended on some games.

Permabanned
It's not too bad. Cheat Engine is as simple to install as any basic program, and same for capframex. Then when you're in-game you just have to alt-tab back to CE, scan for Doom E & click "load cheat table", tick a box and you're done.

The default presets are useless and uninteresting by comparison as the internet is already full of performance results like that.

Problem is there are lots of people (like me) who are just not going to install (as far as they are concerned) random pieces of software all over the place. I agree completely that this should be default settings with no special software installed.

Man of Honour
Sucks hey didn't expose the console by default :( I have some scripts which can benchmark id games if they have the right console commands/features.

Soldato
OP
What is the status with Cheat Engine - awhile back just having it loaded could get your game account suspended on some games.

Tbh I don't know, I am not playing MP games (outside of The Division 2 and the like) so I kinda overlooked this but they'd have to be very aggressive with cheat detection for them to ban you when it's not even in use. I don't normally use it though, just wanted it here for raytracing shenanigans.

Back
Top Bottom