Doom - PS4 / Xbox One

Soldato
Managed to get on multiplayer. Played some TDM.

Wow. Brilliant fun.

Great servers, great hit reg, no BS TTK. A game where someone can have the drop on you and you still have the chance to win the duel. It has mostly no ADS (just 1 weapon or so). This game is brilliant online. Takes me back to my quake days.

Maps are great. Gameplay elements are fun too - demon spawns anyone?? :p

Played some BLOPS3 beforehand. What a laggy mess. Cant believe I finished the SP of this and never really touched MP.

Doom TDM is now my go to online MP shooter! Lol :p

Any idea if they added a game mode where their is no demon spawns?

V F

V F

Soldato
Decided to have a play on Doom last night as I haven't played it a great deal. Then came across the Hell Knights. Geez! Playing on Hurt Me Plenty. These things are frightening compared to what I remember in Doom3. The speed that they run as well as the Hulk smashing. They'll chase you everywhere. :D Quite a challenge on the sticks. In between fighting two of them, the monsters with laser beams, fire balls from soldiers everywhere let alone two Hell Knights on your rear end and that weird flying thing that keeps teleporting. Fun, fun, fun!

Incredible graphics this game for a console. The lighting is so drool worthy.

This will be extremely fun when I get around to loading it up on the PC.

Caporegime
What is it on the base PS4?

Doom uses dynamic scaling on the consoles so on PS4 it's 60fps and 99% 1080p. Boost mode doesn't really have effect on Pro as the game already runs well. On the Xbone I think it's mostly 900p60.

In contrast, Xbox One regularly struggles to hit full 1080p, more often coming in around 1472x828 or lower

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-face-off

So I doubt it will be 4K60 on X1X unless they do some more optimizing.

V F

V F

Soldato
Sometimes it is scary fun how smooth the sticks can be compared to any other game. They move when you move it versus other games that can have stupid deadzones or you start moving further, then accceleration kicks in. The sticks perform exactly how you move the sticks in this game. Other games you've to compensate for overshooting.

Sometimes it reminds me of a correctly setup mouse with no acceleration. Without the flicks.

I wish all console games had stick control like this.

Associate
I loved this game and agree it was silky smooth on console. Played again on PC too, thought console looked just as good too.

V F

V F

Soldato
Some of these maps are quite intense due to getting lost like these furnace parts and all the hidden trinkets.

Soldato
Decided to have a play on Doom last night as I haven't played it a great deal. Then came across the Hell Knights. Geez! Playing on Hurt Me Plenty. These things are frightening compared to what I remember in Doom3. The speed that they run as well as the Hulk smashing. They'll chase you everywhere. :D Quite a challenge on the sticks. In between fighting two of them, the monsters with laser beams, fire balls from soldiers everywhere let alone two Hell Knights on your rear end and that weird flying thing that keeps teleporting. Fun, fun, fun!

Incredible graphics this game for a console. The lighting is so drool worthy.

This will be extremely fun when I get around to loading it up on the PC.

Hell Knights are best tackled by circle strafing. They are quite easy, even more so with the super shot gun. Dash in - 2 barrels in the chest, circle behind as you reload, dash in. Rinse and repeat. Their attack patterns are predictable.

But yeah you often get blind sided by them.

But wait till you meet its big brother later in the game!! ;)

Afaik Doom is 60fps standard but i thought dynamic scaling was only used on xbox one. Didnt think ps4 had it.

The weird flying thing is called a summoner. Evil things and they summon multiple hell knights and other demons. Without a doubt - make it your complete priority to kill as soon as you see it. Otherwise you will be in a world of hurt.

Rocket launcher with lock on is your friend.

Oh and hurt me plenty - lol. EZ MODE! Play it on a proper difficulty! :p

V F

V F

Soldato
But yeah you often get blind sided by them.

Sometimes two spawn out of nowhere as I see these huge shadows after me all of a sudden.

Oh and hurt me plenty - lol. EZ MODE! Play it on a proper difficulty! :p

Well this is my first play through. If I was on mouse and keyboard I'd be on nightmare.

Hell Guard the bigger version? The explosions and flame effects are so gorgeous. More so the Possessed engineer when it explodes taking anything around it out with spectacular effects.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sometimes two spawn out of nowhere as I see these huge shadows after me all of a sudden.

Well this is my first play through. If I was on mouse and keyboard I'd be on nightmare.

Hell Guard the bigger version? The explosions and flame effects are so gorgeous. More so the Possessed engineer when it explodes taking anything around it out with spectacular effects.

Baron of Hell is the bigger version. Fast. Nasty. Ranged attacks. Lots of HP!

Im crap on console and I played through on UV on my first play through. Man, what a challenge. Some sections took me over an hour to conquer. So, so much fun! Funnily enough I am also replaying doom at the moment. I also have it on PC and whilst it looks more lush its less scary because I am far more effective on a mouse and keyboard. On console I struggle with controls so its way more of a challenge for me.

Wihout a doubt my fave SP game of 2016. The multiplayer is a good laugh too :)

Soldato
To be honest, the thing that kills me the most are imps' fireballs.

Always one hiding on a pillar somewhere slinging fireballs whilst im fighting 10+ other demons! :p Little ********!! :p

Back
Top Bottom