Double DIN ICE - Pioneer FH-P80BT

Associate
Looking for a cheapish double din unit for the mr2. The 17 year-old cd player worked perfectly when I bought it, but I killed it within the space of a few hours, probably by playing CDR's on it :o

I had a Pioneer DEH-77MP in a previous car which I loved, and it sounded great. Saw this FH-P80BT and thought it was sexual, though I don't know much about it.

b_fhp80bt.jpg

I can't find any mention of the Burr brown? DACS, which I believe were the reason for the great quality on the 77MP. Anyone know if this has them, or would I be better off with something else around the same price?

I will probably only be using the unit to drive a couple of reasonable quality coax jobbies, no fancy subs etc.

Cheers

Associate
OP
That does look pretty good. Could be tempted by one for the mx5, but the prospect of carrying around the face off isn't too inviting.

Just bosh it in the glovebox tbh. By the time sombody has smashed your window to see if you left it in there you already have an insurance claim anyway...

Associate
OP
Well I finally got round to putting one of these in. It's only taken me 4 months lol:

headunit.jpg

Complete pain in the ass of a job compared to every other car I've ever put a head unit in before, but got there in the end. Just got to change the door speakers now and I'm all set :)

Associate
OP
I was a little unsure wather to go for one of these or not due to the whole lack of removable face plate, but in the end I decided that it's far too gorgeous not to have one. I may regret it, time will tell...

Firegod - That stuff mainly depends on the car in question. You get a cage and / or side mounting brackets with a new HU, but in my case I had to remove the old brackets from the original head unit and mount these to the new HU to fit it. You may or may not get away without requiring an ariel adaptor depending on the car - most modern ones are ISO but there is also another type.

A lot of modern cars use ISO connectors for the speaker and power wiring as standard so you may not even need a harness adapter. You will definatly need an adapter if you wish to keep the existing stalk controls though, and these can be pretty expensive for what they are.

Back
Top Bottom