DP To HDMI woes

ne0

ne0

Associate
Hi all

I'm trying to sort out a proper connection from my 3090 (Display Port) to my TV (HDMI) but so far I've tried 2 adapters and neither were up to the job. GPU only has 1 HDMI out and that's used by my main monitor.

It's a 4m cable distance and I haven't been able to find a cable of similar length that will convert which is why I'm trying the adapter route instead.

Needs to support at least 4K HDR@60hz.

First adapter I tried would only support 4K@30 so sent that back.

Second one I tried produced a picture at 60hz, but with HDR enabled it was just a garbled mess so completely useless and now having to send that back too.

Close to giving up.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Can I assume your main monitor doesn't have a Display Port to connect to and thus go in reverse? Display Port to main monitor and HDMI to TV? As a non-adapter approach will more likely be stable and feature complete (HDR, 120+hertz, etc) at large distances (3m or more, certainly for HDMI).

Easier to use DP with your monitor if you can, then the HDMI 2.1 on the GPU to the TV with a HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable.

Your TV needs to support HDMI 2.0 (which most do tbh).

Then just need a HDMI 2.0 adapter and HDMI 2.0 cable. HDMI 2.1 variants will work too.

Avoid anything under HDMI 2.0.

Main monitor is an OLED TV and only has hdmi inputs.

But would it be better then to use a DP to Hdmi converter cable to the main monitor thus freeing up the hdmi GPU output for the other TV then? It would mean I could get a much shorter cable for that screen so easier to get ahold of at least.

I guess my main concern is not causing any signal degradation or quality loss to main monitor by using a converter cable as that's where most of the magic happens. Is that a concern or should be fine?

Thanks all

Last edited:
Main monitor is an OLED TV and only has hdmi inputs.

Ahhh, that would explain your question then. :)

But would it be better then to use a DP to Hdmi converter cable to the main monitor thus freeing up the hdmi GPU output for the other TV then? It would mean I could get a much shorter cable for that screen so easier to get ahold of at least.

I guess my main concern is not causing any signal degradation or quality loss to main monitor by using a converter cable as that's where most of the magic happens. Is that a concern or should be fine?

Thanks all

The connection being much shorter would be more likely to be stable and feature rich when using an adapter (cable or otherwise). So yes, grab a HDMI 2.1 cable that can be up to 5m (if you buy proper one) and can go between your GPU HDMI to (the ACTUAL) TV, and using the adapter go from Displayport to your TV/Monitors HDMI port. You probably can't skimp on a cheap adapter, but more will likely work as desired at this much shorter distance (usually less than 1m from GPU to desk display).

Reactions: ne0
I have similar issues finding converters to do that.
Found a few DP to HDMI cables that work, mostly. They do have a habit of going blank for a couple of seconds every now and then.
Not that it will help the OP but I'm wondering about a DP to USB-C cable, is that easier to convert than DP to HDMI?

@ne0

Seems some mistakes being made here and why the issues. I use the following on my 3090 and works great to the TV in the living room with a 20M active fibre optic HDMI 2.1 cable below and the DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter.

The converter you will need is named (google it) :-

Cable Matters 8K DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI Adapter with 4K@120Hz or 8K@60hz, Unidirectional (DP 1.4) Display Port to HDMI port 8K Cable Adapter in Black, Support for RTX 3080/3090, RX 6800/6900 and More​

The HDMI cable you need is (google it) and get the length you need and remember these are directional when you wire it up :-

FIBBR 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable 20M, 48Gbps 8K HDMI 2.1 Cable/AOC Support 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz/144Hz HDR eARC Dolby Atmos HDCP 2.2&2.3 Compatible with PS5, Xbox Series X, PC, TV​

Both items you will find at the same store, when you google the names of them.

Last edited:
@ne0

Seems some mistakes being made here and why the issues. I use the following on my 3090 and works great to the TV in the living room with a 20M active fibre optic HDMI 2.1 cable below and the DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter.

The converter you will need is named (google it) :-

Cable Matters 8K DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI Adapter with 4K@120Hz or 8K@60hz, Unidirectional (DP 1.4) Display Port to HDMI port 8K Cable Adapter in Black, Support for RTX 3080/3090, RX 6800/6900 and More​

The HDMI cable you need is (google it) and get the length you need and remember these are directional when you wire it up :-

FIBBR 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable 20M, 48Gbps 8K HDMI 2.1 Cable/AOC Support 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz/144Hz HDR eARC Dolby Atmos HDCP 2.2&2.3 Compatible with PS5, Xbox Series X, PC, TV​

Both items you will find at the same store, when you google the names of them.
Hey thanks very much for these suggestions. I've ordered the suggested adapter and will see if that solves it. If not I'll order the cable you suggested too!

Back
Top Bottom