PC wont post. EDIT Cpu stuck at base clocks

Soldato
Hi everyone. I built a new pc. 7600x, b650 gaming x ax v2, corsair 2x16gb vengeance ddr5, corsair 850e modular psu, gigabyte rtx 2060.

All was working well. But I left the PC on and had to pop out. I returned and the PC was off. I tried turning it on and nothing.

The DRAM light is on and I can't get passed it. Been trying g to get this to post for hours now and nothings worked at all.

I've tried the following..

Reseating the cpu

Removed the gpu and tested with another card and integrated graphics.

Tested each stick in every slot and left for at least 30 mins incase of training.

Updated the bios using q-flash plus

Cleared cmos

Removed everything from the board except cpu, ram, cooler and psu.

Could both sticks really of went at the exact same time? Or could it be cpu/memory controller related?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I’d probably start with re building the basics out side of the case, just the cpu, cooler, 1 stock of ram. Just to have a base line.

From there sadly if still not working, might have to troubleshoot the ram first, then the cpu then the board I guess.

Have you verified no bent pins etc. in the socket?
Yeah its out of the case and still doing the same.

Socket looks good to me.

Could It be the power supply?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi chaps.

Temps were getting 95c with auto cpu voltage settings so I tried to lower the temps by reducing the cpu vcore. when I try to lower the CPU vcore voltage, the CPU no longer boosts and stays at base clocks. I've gone as high as 1.4v but the issue remains and wont go any higher than 4.7ghz. I've tried enabling pbo with both auto, motherboard and manual limits, ppt, edc etc etc.. Also tried setting core performance boost to on, expo/xmp on and off also.

Been looking online all night for a solution but everything suggested doesn't work.

The CPU will only boost when the CPU vcore is set to auto and nothing else.

Is there a setting I'm missing here?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Clocks were 4.7 and wouldn't budge unless I turned the cpu vcore setting back to auto. Then It would boost to 5.4 as normal but the cpu vcore voltage was 1.4v in HWinfo so I decided to lower it. Even if I set the vcore to 1.4v manually, it wouldn't boost to 5.4 like it does on auto. Not sure if im missing a setting somewhere. Cooler is a 360 corsair aio.

Soldato
OP
Auto volts on amd usually sit around 1.49-1.5v, that's quite high tbh, I would say it's because the voltage is being 1.4v or lower is capping the max boost of the CPU, unless your doing work that requires a lot of CPU, I wouldn't worry too much, you can check bios updates too as newer versions improve performance, but a big tip don't update to the latest as they are quite buggy, try to stay around 2-3 below the very latest to be safe.
Tested on my other board and the chip boosts with the voltage lowered. Now ive no idea. Unless its a gigbyte thing?

Cheers for the tips mate. I appreciate your help :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Is there an Intel equivalent? I was thinking of undervolting my W3580 when I give that PC to my son,as it does get toasty in the summer.
I'm not to sure tbh with you mate. Hopefully someone here can chime in. I just used to lower the voltage manually on intel cpus until it became unstable then added voltage accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Your other board what make is it?, i would say its a outdated bios on the gigabyte board, have a friend that had a similar issue on am4 and once the board was updated the cpu was working correctly and running cooler. completley forgot about curve optimiser.
The other board is a rog strix b650e f. The gigabyte board is on the latest bios. I've tried 3 other bioses but the same happens. Just a thought... would it be because the 4pin cpu power isn't connected? I've only the 8 pin connected.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you should always use the 8pin eps plug first, connecting the 4pin aux will cause problems when the cpu needs to pull power, may explain why your cpu was stuck at 4.7ghz instead of 5.4ghz boost, not sure the exact power a 4pin cpu power can provide but i would say its around 75w, as the 8pin eps can provide 150w which would allow your cpu to pull more power and get to advatised boost clocks.
Sorry I meant to say the 4 pin isn't connected. Just the 8pin.

Soldato
OP
OK so I've plugged in the 4 pin Haswell and the issue remains. Going to try the f3 bios now.

Edit. Same with the f3 bios.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think curve optimiser works fine but when he inputs a fixed core voltage it doesn't boost above the base frequency, sounds like this is by design.
Correct. Im starting to think that. Would rather do a manual set voltage.

I can use dynamic v core voltage though. Under prime95 it sits at 81c and 1.278v and boosts to 5.4ghz. Any lower on the dynamic vcore and it crashes. Also have a negative 20 on curve optimiser.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can you clarify exactly what you have tried and what the issue still is?
Basically if I set a manual vcore, it wont boost past the base clocks no matter what I try. Even if I set it at 1.4v to test, it does the same thing and wont boost above base clocks. Only the auto setting on vcore voltage will the clocks boost as normal.

Soldato
OP
Hi chaps.

Temps were getting 95c with auto cpu voltage settings so I tried to lower the temps by reducing the cpu vcore. when I try to lower the CPU vcore voltage, the CPU no longer boosts and stays at base clocks. I've gone as high as 1.4v but the issue remains and wont go any higher than 4.7ghz. I've tried enabling pbo with both auto, motherboard and manual limits, ppt, edc etc etc.. Also tried setting core performance boost to on, expo/xmp on and off also.

Been looking online all night for a solution but everything suggested doesn't work.

The CPU will only boost when the CPU vcore is set to auto and nothing else.

Is there a setting I'm missing here?

Cheers

Can you clarify exactly what you have tried and what the issue still is?

Back
Top Bottom