Draytek 2860 WAN throughput

Associate
Hi

Does anyone know the actual max WAN > LAN throughput of the 2860?

Virgin have just enabled 200Mbps for me which is fine when using the SH2 as the router (hits just over 220Mbps) but when I put that into modem mode and then into the WAN port of the draytek I'm maxing out at ~155.

I'm leaning towards this being a draytek throughput issue although the specs suggest I should be capable of up to 300Mbps.

Thanks

Associate
OP
If the above is correct and it has a 300Mbps WAN throughput then that is your issue. That throughput will be duplex so will be split in half for downstream and upstream.

So I could push 150 up and pull 150 down but never 300 down and 0 up? If so i misunderstood that when I purchased it :(

Shame, been the perfect router otherwise. Ball ache now of finding another router that meets all the same requirements.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a number of 28xx/29xx Drayteks and often found that performance would be well short of the suggested maximum.

In some cases it was firmware and in others due to the features I had enabled which drastically reduced performance. I am not sure if the there is a symmetric split on the 300Mbps but worth checking the Draytek forums about this as well as firmware revisions.

In the end I gave up on 28/29 Drayteks due to limitations such as this, nice as the features appear to be. There are a lot of routers with plenty of bandwidth and I always assume up to 50% lost if using certain firewall and other CPU intensive features: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Caporegime
The 300Mbps figure will be quoted as a best-case scenario - larger packet sizes, little to no packet inspection etc. - a firewall that tops out at ~100Mbps of HTTP downloads will fall way short of that number when given tiny VoIP packets for example.

Normally firewall vendors will quote an 'IMIX' throughput figure which is a repeatable test of a variety of different packet sizes designed to represent common Internet usage. DrayTek don't appear to do that.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info.

I've emailed draytek asking about realistic figures. Seems like I will have to move away from them though as even the next model up will only suffice for the current virgin speed so will be in the same boat again come the next round of speed upgrades.

That smallnetbuilder website seems a good source of info though to start with.

Thanks again

Caporegime
If you want a reasonably advanced router that doesn't cost Cisco money then look at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. Great little boxes and very good community support on their forums. Requires a bit more work than a DrayTek to get them doing what you want, but stable once you've got it configured.

Soldato
So I could push 150 up and pull 150 down but never 300 down and 0 up? If so i misunderstood that when I purchased it :(

Shame, been the perfect router otherwise. Ball ache now of finding another router that meets all the same requirements.

That will be my understanding :) I like the Ubiquiti range a lot, the CLI (command line interface) is fairly standard but you'll likely not need to venture into there. You have the edge router series which is a lot more enterprise grade (in the way that configuration is done) or the UniFi range which has a really nice interface.

Associate
OP
Had a look on the draytek forums as suggested and it seems people have got these running at 300Mbps so not quite ready to rule it out.

Re-installed firmware using the rst version so everything back to default, have everything except VPN setup again and it's getting much closer although still around 10% lower than using the SH2.

Will wait to hear back from draytek and will update post if I can get it working.

If not, it's currently looking like a toss up between the Edgerouter lite or a cisco RV325. Both would require an extra modem for my ADSL backup but the edgerouter would also need a switch installing. Not the end of the world but means going from 1 device to 3.

Associate
At the DrayTek disable wan 1 (usually enabled by default i think) & all the other wan's such usb (wan>General setup) and see if the wan 2 (only enabled) will go higher speeds

Soldato
Goes without saying but try not to add too much into the firewall as you go as that will slow you down.

I'm not surprised by this though. A lot of manufacturers claim big things and the products are very rarely tested in a real world environment. I wonder how many more threads we will see like this.

Associate
OP
At the DrayTek disable wan 1 (usually enabled by default i think) & all the other wan's such usb (wan>General setup) and see if the wan 2 (only enabled) will go higher speeds

Hi

I tried this after the reset, essentially disabled everything other than WAN2 (wifi, other wan ports, ipv6, only a single lan port active, dos protection) but still the same. I was hoping that if it worked correctly I could enable features one at a time to see if there was a specific feature that was slowing it down.

Caporegime
Go into the firewall tab and disable the call filter and data filter, make sure nothing is set up in the load balance policy, disable any sort of bandwidth management/QoS, see how you get on.

Associate
Hi

I tried this after the reset, essentially disabled everything other than WAN2 (wifi, other wan ports, ipv6, only a single lan port active, dos protection) but still the same. I was hoping that if it worked correctly I could enable features one at a time to see if there was a specific feature that was slowing it down.
try the others lans ports
I had same issue when had the 2850 / 2830, when was with VM years ago (100 mbps)
Will do anything from 70-90 until disabled the other wans ... this one seems just can not do it
You better mention it to the support

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you can't get it to hit the 300Mbps throughput advertised by DrayTek with the help of their support team then I'd be inclined to forward the email where they admit it won't really achieve that sort of throughput to the people you purchased it from and request a refund, and let them take it up with DrayTek.

Obviously do this after you've replaced it so that it can be a spare time one email a day sort of affair, no point pouring more time that it's worth away.

Back
Top Bottom