Dreaded Appointment

Soldato
Made the heartbreaking but correct decision to have our 14 year old black Lab Max put to sleep next week. He's lost control of his bowels, doesn't want to go out and when he does go out, he keeps falling over. He's your typical Lab, soft as anything, loyal and a great guard dog, only barking when he hears something he doesn't like. His guarding days are over now as he's completely deaf and almost blind so he likes to stay close, which makes the thought of taking him to the vet very upsetting. The appointment is a week today, so we're going to give him our full attention over the next week, helped by my wife being on holiday. We're going to miss him but feel we've put it off long enough. :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone, he'll get lots of fuss this coming week. We've always had a dog but I think this will be our last. We're approaching 60 so feel another dog would tie us down when we want to have weekends away etc. as we're both semi retired.

Soldato
OP
Well the day has arrived and it's been a struggle mentally this week. There's something very special about a dog that we humans struggle to replicate and it's that devotion they show whenever they see you. I've been hoping he would pass in his sleep as that would be easier than what's to come later. :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the kind words guys he's now at peace. It was a dreadful experience but he literally fell asleep instantly with his head on my lap. The vet was very kind and she told us we'd done the right thing. We're having his ashes back in a box with a photo frame on one side, so I think I'll do a little montage with his first pic and last amongst them. His first photo is him at 8 weeks old sat in a makeshift bed, a washing up bowl with a blanket in it. He was an amazing dog and always said hello to whoever we met on our walks. The only people who didn't like him were the fishermen at the local pond, as he used to make a beeline for the water as soon as we let him off the lead. Great times and I'm going to miss him terribly. :(

Soldato
OP
So sorry for your loss of a loved one. Keep the memories close to your heart. You certainly made the most difficult, yet correct, decision. It is so hard to lose a loved one, but it shouldn't stop us loving, it is worth it for the years of love and fun together and even the bittersweet memory years. I'd rather enjoy the good and endure the hurt than not have any of it.
At this exact moment in time it's hard to agree with you but I know you're right. It was truly heartbreaking not to hear the thump of his tail when I opened the kitchen door this morning and the grief is pretty overwhelming. I feel I'm overreacting but it's good to get my feelings out to those who don't know me but sympathize anyway. By pure coincidence a local woman who fosters dogs was asking for bowls, bedding etc. so we're taking them round this morning. Hopefully I don't burst into tears when I hand them over. :(

Soldato
OP
We lost Squeak the cat on Tuesday and handed his paraphernalia to AnimalCare yesterday. I nearly cried. Since yesterday, I have just about had it all in check and was smiling at the memories until I read your original post.
Sorry about that and for your loss. I guess we both know it will get easier with time and then hopefully the good memories will have outweighed the bad. :)

Soldato
OP
Sorry to drag this up again but just thought I'd give a quick update. It's been tough, really tough and my wife's taking it particularly badly. I'm coming to terms with it slowly but she's consumed by guilt. Not just the guilt of making the decision to end his life, but of the times she used to complain about dog hair etc. She spent the majority of the time with Max, as she was home all day and worked in the evening. He loved her and was always by her side, especially as he got older. When he was younger, he used to sit at the window just before she was due home, I swear he had a wrist watch! I try to remind her he loved her unconditionally, and that everyone complains about the endless amount of dog hair etc, but it's falling on deaf ears at the moment. :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks again everyone. I think I mentioned in my original post that now's not the time to think of another dog for a variety of reasons. If our dream to retire to the country in a few years becomes a reality, we'll definitely reconsider. I think my wife is in some sort of delayed shock. She was unusually calm on the day last week but has been inconsolable since. My daughter's coming round later who came with me when we picked him up at 8 weeks, so another difficult couple of hours ahead. :(

Soldato
OP
I didn't think it would come this soon, but last night my 9yr old bulldog had seizures all throughout the night. We knew she was getting on (for a bulldog) and while she's been in great health up until now, seeing her in this pain is just so sad. She's at the vets right now in their hospital, but they have said the chances are she will not be coming home. We'll go and see her this afternoon and most likely say goodbye.

Such a hard thing to do.
So sorry to hear that. :(

Back
Top Bottom