Dreamspark secure download manager

Soldato
Hello,

My win7 install has activation issues, my own fault for using a loader instead of using my legit codes but meh. I want to upgrade to windows 8 pro to keep all apps/user data, I have a couple of licenses through dreamspark ( I have free access to win7/win8 pro versions), though they make you download the iso though this "Secure Download Manager" system (SDM). I have the cd codes accessible for me but getting the win 8 pro x64 dutch iso is a problem.

This is an absolutely tripe app, I have no idea why they chose this to deliver their software, so far I've failed THREE times downloading it. First of all the whole app fails when you put your pc into standby and wake it up again, secondly, it finished 100% then it said its corrupted and have to restart, and it somehow manages to throw a ''this location is not available any more'' during downloading on my NAS despite other apps like spotnet, newsleecher, utorrent, etc... Having no problems at all with using my NAS...

Now I'm 30hrs further and downloading for the 4th time and its at 1% after a bloody hour (and yes I know it's paused I've tried pausing and resuming a couple of times).

dreamspark.jpg

I've tried it at uni on another pc ( my laptop), it didn't even go past 0%! So it's not my connection or pc at fault...

Is there any way to make this piece of dump work, and download my ISO like it should ? Anyone else with experience with downloading through Dreamspark/MSDNAA ?

Why do they make these legal ways such a hassle?

Any way to make this download manager of microsoft actually download something correctly and quickly ? Or is there some better application that handles .sdx downloads?

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe it has issues when the download location is set to a network drive. Changing it to a local disk should do the trick.

I found this on my own network. Saving to my Z drive which is on my HP N40L, the download was VERY slow (like 6 hours + download time for a 2gb iso) until it failed before it finished. Changing this to the C drive and everything was fine

Associate
Bumping this thread slightly because I'm in the same boat as the OP. Although strictly speaking not legal (probably), one of my mates has 'given' me his key to a 32-bit copy of Windows 8 Professional that he was able to get through his University's DreamSpark account. He's using the 64-bit key so I thought I'd ask him for the 32-bit key, which he has kindly allowed me to use.

Anyway, the above story isn't really relevant. My issue is the same as the OP's because the piece of crap software that is Secure Download Manager is the most painfully slow and retarded method of downloading something that I have ever had the displeasure of using. I spent several hours trying to download the ISO on my parents' PC the other night until it got to 47% and stayed there for an hour before I decided to give up. I then swallowed my pride and installed this crapware onto my PC and attempted to download the ISO again. And while it was a lot faster to begin with (though nowhere near as fast a regular HTTP download), once it got to 31% it decided it wasn't going to play ball. I have now given up again and removed Secure Download Manager.

Although I don't think there's much that can be done to solve the issues with the download manager itself, I was instead wondering if there was a legitimate alternative to download a Windows 8 Professional ISO?

Thanks for any advice.

Associate
I had the same peobs iwth some software, i had to redownload the download manager, select repair then redownlaod the .sdx file to your desktop, then run as administrator, it shoudl then run fine, bare in mind it will be slower at peak times.

Associate
trickycurve does your mate still have the 64-bit ISO? You should be able to use your key with that.

And RE: the software. I've had a few problems with it recently when I tried to change the folder to my D: drive. Swapped it back to C: and it was happy again.

Back
Top Bottom